Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is bigger better?

Is bigger better?

Hi All,

I have been thinking about this for a while, though I am not completely decided if it’s right thing to do or not.

I have been shooting with a Shen-Hao, and then a Toyo 45AII for a little more than a year. (The Shen has been sold). I really like the Toyo and have been pleased with my results. But I keep thinking that since I currently don’t have a dark room maybe doing contact printing is the way to go. However, if I do that then I need (should get??) an 8x10. Ultimately, I would like to try some alternative processes.

I am currently thinking about selling the Toyo 45 setup, buying a newer 8x10 (I am thinking Toyo 810M), and a Cooke XVa convertible lens, and something wider either a 210 or 150mm lens. That way I would have nearly the equivalent focal lengths that I have been using for 4x5.

Maybe I am crazy, but I wonder if this would be a good idea or not. Any thoughts or opinions about this would be greatly appreciated. Somebody on this forum once said, after a while you will find 4x5 too small and I am beginning to think they may be correct.

Thanx!

Gary

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Re: Is bigger better?

I don't shoot 8x10 myself, but the last lens I just bought will cover 8x10 and larger. I'm in the same boat as you.

You know what answered your question for me? The very first time I saw a contact print made from an 8x10 negative. All doubt disappears. If you really want to punish yourself in a most brutal manner, go see a contact print made from 11x14. I'm just grateful I've never seen a 20x24 contact print (yet).

One bit of advice - don't be in a rush to sell your 4x5 gear until you get your feet fully wet with a larger format.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

A couple of thoughts. For contact printing the answer is yes. For enlargement, I guess it would depend on size of enlargement. For viewing and composing behind the glass, I prefer the larger size 8x10 glass to 4 x 5. 8x10 is very manageable in the field with the right gear, imo.

Contact prints can be spectacular. I also contact print 7 x 17, which is also very nice, but more work.

i don't find 4x5 too small, but just too close to an excellent 6x7... 8x10 is an other story !
    But you should consider the cost per view also !

I don't have the answer for you, Gary. But, having gone through a similar experience a few years ago, I'll share that for what it's worth, the difference being that I do have a darkroom, and can enlarge the 4x5 negs.

While I really (really, really) like shooting 8x10, and making contact prints, the issues of added bulk and weight aren't to be ignored. There are times that I just don't want to deal with the extra hassle, so out comes the 4x5.

I, too, looked at the Toyo 810M, as I already had a 45AX for field work, and a 45C for in-studio stuff. Due to cost and weight, however, I opted for a double-extension Tachihara. But, I did the next-best thing, and made a lens board adapter for the Tachi, so I could leave the majority of my lenses mounted on the 110mm boards for the 45AX. I also made an adapter for the back, so I can utilize the Toyo reducing back on the Tachi. That way, I have several alternatives available, and can choose based on circumstances (or, mood, phase of the moon, or whatever). Since then, I've also added a used 810G (purchased for a song) for studio work that needs more extension.

Bottom line, however, based on my experience, I wouldn't suggest giving up the 4x5 and shooting 8x10 exclusively. But, that's only my opinion.

for shooting black and white, i say, if im gonna lug all this gear around, i might as well go that extra little step and take on an 8x10

i think its wholly more useable than 4x5 in that its still somewhat affordable, and you can contact print...now when you go see an elargement even of like a 4x5 to a 8x10 to 16x20, you can still tell a world of difference in the quality of the photo.

the extra ground glass is also great in that you can compose a little better with such a big picture in front of you.

I shoot 8x10 far more than 4x5. Aside from the obvious, here are some differences to consider:

8x10---color film is prohibitivlely expensive (for me anyway)
    8x10---a suitable tripod will be the most awkward part of your kit.
    8x10---hiking with a selection of lenses and a dozen film holders is a no-go

These drawbacks don't bother me. I'm happy working in b&w. For hiking and sking I'll use a lighter Ries 200 and leave the head at home. For hiking I'll limit myself to one or two lenses max. The wide I take will be an itty bitty bantam wieght 240 G-Claron or 159 WollyWA.

Once you look at the aerial image on an 8x10gg I think you'll agree the limitations are worth it.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Scott Davis

If you are thinking about alternative processes, you really do need to look into 8x10. While you can enlarge digitally and make new negatives in whatever size you want, you're better off with in-camera originals. While some folks feel that 4x5 is too small for contact prints, I would disagree- I have done a fair bit of pt/pd printing with 4x5 negs to keep the cost of my learning curve down, and I've made quite a few images that I really like in that size.

Perhaps an intermediate size to think about is 5x7 - find an 8x10 camera with a 5x7 reducing back. 5x7 makes a very nice contact print, without costing as much or weighing as much as 8x10.

I sometimes contact print my 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 negatives. To look good, it requires the right negative, though. I like close up, more abstract images than I usually shoot with 8x10. At work, I have a couple of framed 4x5 contact prints that look just fine to me.

Of course everyone else seems to think that bigger is better. And my camera club has a rule that anything submitted for competition or exhibit has to be 80-square inches of image area. An 8x10 contact print is only 72.
    juan

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

This is my two cents worth.... and it's worth every cent you paid for it.
    I shot 4x5 for years and always wanted to jump to 8x10 and make contact prints. I finally did it, and haven't regretted it most days. I still have a couple 4x5's but I haven't shot with them since I bought the 8x10 three years ago. I would sell them off but use them as loaners instead.
    Once I started making contact prints I realized two things, 8x10's look great in a room of other 8x10's but look small if you have other 16x20's and larger in the same room. So I started considering a 7x17. However I didn't really like contact printing because of dust that I could never get off.
    Fortunately I bought a used 8x10 enlarger .... this solved my contact printing issue and now I don't need a larger camera.
    I think switching to 8x10 was the best move I've made in years, 4x5 does start to look small, but 8x10 is heavy.... I've replaced almost all of my 8x10 gear at least once since switching as I'm constantly trying to lighten up and simplify my bag. I think I'm getting where I want to be now.
    It's an itch that you just can't scratch until you try it.
    And unless your getting younger it will never be easier to carry the gear than right now.
    -Rob Skeoch