Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Landscapers ― share your best “take-down” tips

Landscapers ― share your best “take-down” tips

Let’s say you’ve taken your final shot, re-inserted the darkslide, and called it a day...

What are your “take-down” priorities, and are they helpful to share? What’s your first step – and last step? Does the weather or type of shot determine the order? What steps are good to remember, but easy to forget?

I imagine many are quick to remove their film holder and safely pack it away – others might first attend to their lens. Still others might pick-up accessories, or write a few final field notes before any other leave-taking chore.

My final step after packing my bag & collapsing the tripod is “walking-around” the set-up area, looking for small items I may have forgotten. I started this habit after leaving behind my Pentax spot meter on a dark forest floor. I hiked back next day to rescue it. Why it didn’t rain, or wolves didn’t chew on it, I don’t know!

Let’s hear about your “take-down” habits – what useful ideas & lessons can you share?

Re: Landscapers ― share your best “take-down” tips

Anybody use a take-down checklist, like an exposure checklist?

A list for wrapping up is probably uncommon, but here’s one more habit of mine I find useful at the end of a shot. I usually put the front cap on my lens before removing it from the camera, and have its back cap ready to put on, right after I remove it. I’ve dropped it a time or two on the way to the bag.

One more item I like to “check-off” – when putting film holders away, I’ll make sure they’re locked. Just a quick visual inspection. I’ve had hiking motion pull slides open while they’re inside my pack. Hope this triggers your memory of additional suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Anybody use a take-down checklist, like an exposure checklist?
    Not me, about the only things that I do for sure everey time is put the film holder back into the plastic bag then back into the film bag, and put a lens cap on.

Joshua Tree, California

Seems so anal.

I simply try not to put anything on the ground except my pack and the tripod/camera rig. Every time I put anything on the ground I inevitably end up almost forgetting it or accidently kicking it off into a stream erc...

So no I don't really have a list of take-down tips but I try to only have one thing in my hand at a time and if I'm done with something it goes back into the pack immediately or in my pocket if re-use will be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I simply try not to put anything on the ground ... I inevitably end up almost forgetting it or accidentally kicking it off into a stream etc.
    This plagues me too. If a shot looks time-consuming, I like to lay-out a poncho as a sort of “accessory blanket.” My loose gear goes on top – film holders, filters, meter, notebook, etc. (If it’s misty or rainy, they go between layers, like a sandwich.) The lightweight poncho is bright orange; otherwise, I know I’d keep stepping on it! The smaller items still roll off occasionally, and sometimes I’ll find them hiding underneath, trying their best to escape my notice. So it’s not a perfect solution, but it sure helps this clumsy & forgetful photographer pack-up right when it’s time to go.

The only thing I know is not to just toss the Minolta spot meter up on the cabover bed of the rented RV. It will fall down and hide in the gap behind the flange of the slideout, only to be found when the wife opens the slideout and crushes it into oblivion.

I think a checklist with one item would do it:

1. Check to make sure that the Pentax spot meter is not placed loose on the cabover bed of a rented RV after stowing the cameras.

Beyond that, I just make it up as I go.

Rick "back to using the Pentax" Denney

1. Make sure meter is set to correct film speed.
    2. Try not to f&ck this up.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    The only thing I know is not to just toss the Minolta spot meter up on the cabover bed of the rented RV. It will fall down and hide in the gap behind the flange of the slideout, only to be found when the wife opens the slideout and crushes it into oblivion.

I think a checklist with one item would do it:

1. Check to make sure that the Pentax spot meter is not placed loose on the cabover bed of a rented RV after stowing the cameras.

Beyond that, I just make it up as I go.

Rick "back to using the Pentax" Denney
    Do you now have a pile of meter parts in your possession?

Quote Originally Posted by jayabbas View Post
    Do you now have a pile of meter parts in your possession?
    Was I that obvious?

Rick "who thought he was being subtle" Denney