Thread: Northern Cascades, Washington

Northern Cascades, Washington

Hi,

I am going to Seattle for a week on Saturaday and was planning on doing some camping in the Northern Cascades for two nights. I have been looking at Colonial Creek Campgrounds. Does anyone have any experience there or any other suggestions for camping in that area? I would prefer grounds that I can drive to, but I am open to wilderness camping as well.

On a gear-related note, I will be bringing my 8x10 deardorff and probably an H3d-39 medium format digital setup. Am I crazy (oh and probably my Mamiya 7)?

Thanks,

Noah

Re: Northern Cascades, Washington

Bear spray, tis the season.

I was just out on the Sahale Arm trail last weekend climbing Sahale mountain, and the views were amazing. From above Cascade Pass you can see most of the North Cascade range- it's simply incredible. You can camp off the trail but most sites are still snow covered and you need an ice axe in some upper sections of the trail. There is a simple car campground (Johannesburg camp) near the trailhead if you want to do day trips though.

Cascade Pass is indeed one of the area’s most spectacular day hikes, and I also recommend it; be sure to call ahead about road and hiking conditions.

Just the scenery from the trail head is spectacular!

Colonial Creek campground is nice, but to get away from traffic, you can also park at nearby Ross Dam, hike across it, and continue north a few miles for a more primitive experience. There are camp sites along Ross Lake – and the Big Beaver Creek valley is beautiful. This is also a great day hike if you’re unable to carry overnight equipment with you. Have a great time and please show us your 8x10 photos when you get back.