Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My first semi nudes.....

Re: My first semi nudes.....

Maybe you could also take a picture of her front

The pictures are well framed and put together. I would have shortened the depth of field to clearly make the tattooed back the focal point.
    Questions and comments are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Tom J McDonald View Post
    Maybe you could also take a picture of her front
    Sat AM. She is getting the short black skirt, stockings and we will do both ft and back
    david

Quote Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
    Sat AM. She is getting the short black skirt, stockings and we will do both ft and back

Shooting successful environmental portraits is really a lot harder than it looks, espeically when you are working with nudes. I also think shooting environmental portraits is totally different from shooting portraits in the outdoor environment. I had a worksession a while back with Kim Weston and he gave me the following advice:

Anyone can shoot a photograph of a nude model in the forest. But if there isn't a connection between the model and her surroundings, it's really two different photographs that don't necessarily work together.

When I look at your images, the first two I see you trying to relate the model with the traincar environment she is in (good start in the right direction). When I look at the third image, I see a model and, oh by the way, there is a train and big bush behind her (background and model don't compliment each other).

I see a lot of photographers these days trying to shoot this type of subject matter and thinking so much about the model, they forget about the rest of what's in the image.

I remember how "lost" I was when I started working with models about 5 years ago. I don't claim to be a great photographer of models yet, but I have learned a lot in working with the models I have. If you want to get good at this type of work, you're going to have to put a lot of time in practicing and working with more subjects.

Hope this is the type of feedback you were looking for.

thanks dan, that is exaclty what i was looking for. I have no desire to shoot any other models at all. I only want to learn this process a bit better to help my photography in general.

Tomorrow AM we are goign out to try this again and see how we can improve.

The original idea was to try and work her tats against the texture of the railcars. The single biggest issue for me was her not being seperated from the background enough. The 2nd issue was that I was too far away and th 3rd would be the clothing. I have a plan to address all 3 issues tomorrow and I hope the images come out much better.
    david

Quote Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
    thanks dan, that is exaclty what i was looking for. I have no desire to shoot any other models at all. I only want to learn this process a bit better to help my photography in general.

Tomorrow AM we are goign out to try this again and see how we can improve.

The original idea was to try and work her tats against the texture of the railcars. The single biggest issue for me was her not being seperated from the background enough. The 2nd issue was that I was too far away and th 3rd would be the clothing. I have a plan to address all 3 issues tomorrow and I hope the images come out much better.
    Did you have any luck with the new shots? This new direction you are taking with your photography is very interesting.
    Questions and comments are always welcome

A combination of heat and an irritated model killed us last Sat. My fingers are crossed for this Sat.

Thanks for the support
    david

gary bunton

Johnnielivs might be the only guy on here I respect and I've never seen his work, but I can tell from his comments he gets it. Personally I would approach the shoot differently. A body that is inked as much as hers should be the point of focus, the problem is and it's widespread on this forum, most photographers are not able to concept the shoot before they set up a camera. I come from a commercial background so I story board almost any shoot like this. Draw your lighting, research time of day, and I don't mean strobes.
    Think of it like this, 355mm Ektar an Avadon favorite lens, move in close crop her at the bottom of her waist, two three feet from the background of the train, put a simple PVC flag above her and drop the background two stops, simple fill card in front create tension by your lighting, much Like frank does on here. You are on to a nice shot it just needs to be worked. I respect you for posting it and these forums should be a format for sharing ideas. Some day I'll post a a few pics and see what everyone thinks. good luck with this it can be a great photo.

The concept of "environmental nude" immediately puts the intended photograph into some classification system against which it might be judged and come up wanting.

Instead, why not look at the work as simply pictures that need to be executed well. That's why this advice is so pertinent.

Quote Originally Posted by gbunton View Post
    .......most photographers are not able to concept the shoot before they set up a camera. I come from a commercial background so I story board almost any shoot like this. Draw your lighting, research time of day, and I don't mean strobes.
    and when one returns home and makes the print, a photocopying the picture is good for critique with a red wax pencil to see where the picture can be improved. To me the planning making and remaking of the picture is a cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by gbunton View Post
    Think of it like this, 355mm Ektar an Avadon favorite lens, move in close crop her at the bottom of her waist, two three feet from the background of the train, put a simple PVC flag above her and drop the background two stops, simple fill card in front create tension by your lighting, much Like frank does on here. You are on to a nice shot it just needs to be worked. I respect you for posting it and these forums should be a format for sharing ideas.
    Great ideas and supportive suggestions!

Asher