Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Analysis of my FIRST LF Shot-guidance sought

Analysis of my FIRST LF Shot-guidance sought

Hello All,

I am Avi from Atlanta, GA. I want to share my very first LF shot using my Speed Graphic and 135mm Optar lens and hoping with your advice I can get better.

Here is the uncropped shot:

2400dpi_rot=right_bits=auto_single_fading_sharp_color=WB_ilford_jpegqualmax_resized by Avishek Aiyar, on Flickr

Details:

135mm Optar set at f8 (I have written the exposure down but my notebook is in my old house). Focused using the GG and not the rangefinder.
    Metering: using a Sekonic incident light meter and checked with a Nikon D300 as well.
    Film: Ilford HP5+, but I exposed it at ISO 640
    Developed at home using Diafine 2 part developer according to the suggested protocol.
    Fixed with Kodak fixer and then washed in Photoflo and dried.

Scan details:

Epson Perfection 2450 set at 2400 dpi. Scanned using Vuescan and the 4x5 holder that came with the scanner.

I scanned at max JPEG quality and then set it to level 8 in Photoshop in order to be able to upload it to Flickr. The original file was about 55MB, but after saving in PS, it is now about 9 MB.

I applied the "Restore fading" and the "sharpen" filters.

Here is a 2000 pixel x 2000 pixel crop of the above picture.

2400dpi_rot=right_bits=auto_single_fading_sharp_color=WB_ilford_jpegqualmax_2000pixel_100%crop by Avishek Aiyar, on Flickr

The questions I had are as follows:

1. One of my friends strongly feels that the negative is not very sharp. I am not sure I completely understand that, especially in the absence of a reference.

Are there ways I can improve the quality of the shot? Am I doing justice to the 4x5 medium or is the shot a complete insult?!

2. The above shots are AFTER applying the filters. Without applying it looks way overexposed as below:

2400dpi_rot=right_bits=auto_single_nofading_nosharp_color=WB_ilford_jpeg=8 by Avishek Aiyar, on Flickr

But I cannot understand something: since I am converting the negative to a digital copy, how do I know what information my negative originally contains and what artifacts the scanner is adding to it? Did I actually overexpose it?

I would really appreciate ANY input from you guys. I have no precedent to the above, so forgive me if there are some blatant mistakes with both presenting the pictures as well as technical issues.

I hope to master this format over time.

Thanks.

Avi

Re: Analysis of my FIRST LF Shot-guidance sought

Unfortunately, no images...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Unfortunately, no images...
    Vaughn....fixed that.

Thanks.

Avi

You might find this short article helpful: Scanning Tips (with EPSON Scan software)

You might find this one helpful too: Testing Black and White Film

Great first shot.....mine really sucked...most still do.

PMed you
    david

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    You might find this short article helpful: Scanning Tips (with EPSON Scan software)

You might find this one helpful too: Testing Black and White Film
    Ken,

Thanks for the excellent links!

Unfortunately the Epson does not provide (to the best of my knowledge) a 64 Bit version compatible with Windows 7. I am restricted to Vuescan.

I am trying to figure out if I can clone your procedure in Vuescan.

But here is the preview:

Preview by Avishek Aiyar, on Flickr

Photoshop histogram clearly shows overexposed.

Avi

Your test includes many variables, but you have only one image: nothing to compare, nothing to learn from.

Your subject has a rather long brightness range: there are dark objects in deep shade, and light objects in sunshine. There are only a few middle tones. Is the negative under-exposed ? under-developed ? It's hard to tell from this image. It's also hard to take another photo of the same subject for comparison purposes.

I recommend that you find a better and repeatable test subject, and use a more "standard" developer. Diafine (along with Divided Pyrocat and other divided developers) is unusual: changes in development time have little effect on contrast.

With a standard developer, you can shoot your film at a standard film speed.

I suspect that the image was well exposed and well developed. But since the neg was scanned one cannot deduce much about negative resolution. If you actually scanned at 2500dpi then your maximum resolution referenced to the scanner is around 50 lp/mm and probably less. Place the image on a light table and examine it with a strong loupe. Place a human hair in the field of view of the loupe and compare its diameter to the detail in the negative. The diameter of the hair will be from about 3 mil to 4 mil (75 to 100 microns, 10 to 13 lines per mm.). That's only 5 to 7 line pairs per mm. so would be pretty poor for a good LF lens. Your detail ought to be perhaps five to ten times better than the hair in areas of critically sharp focus. You probably need at least a 10X loupe to really see decent detail in a critically sharp negative.

As Ken says the scene was of very high contrast and ordinarily one would choose a two part developer like Diafine but that two part bath should be calibrated fairly carefully. Sort of looks like you did a pretty good job for a shot in the dark.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

As you can read the text cast into the seat with good clarity, it seems sharp. Thin DOF and how gradually that fades out of focus would contribute to many areas not being sharp. You'd need f22 or smaller to get most of the photo in focus. If you scan the negative upside down, it may end up not being as sharp too.

The image isn't streaked with light leaks or double exposed, so it's a great start. Once you are comfortable with the equipment and what it will do, you can think more about artistic/aesthetic choices.

Scanning adds lots of complexity and options. Since you're new to both, there's lots of variables yet to nail down. I'd suggest either having someone do a nice analog print and having someone else who does lots of epson scanning do a good epson scan.

It looks like the highlights in the scan positive in the lower left have good detail in the negative scan you show. In which case, it would indicate that you didn't scan the full right range of lights and darks. Also don't use effects filters to scan. They don't make the scan any more real; just take it further from an honest digital copy of the negative. You're welcome to use some filters after the curves and resizing and everything. Something like a little bit of unsharp or some colorize to "tone" is about all I do. The second scan (negative), the scale is deceiving the auto exposure because it's picking up the edges of the film (black as imaged). Setting the scale of brightness manually is the most foolproof way. I use epson's software.

Once you get scans the way you want, you can go back again, remembering how your lens renders various backgrounds at certain apertures and make some killer environmental portraits or whatever ever your photo interests are, building on what you're learning from this. I wouldn't enter the photo in a contest, but it's a productive start and technically good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    With a standard developer, you can shoot your film at a standard film speed.
    Ken,

Is D-76 a standard developer?

Avi