Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 5x7 green xray film

Re: 5x7 green xray film

I'm not getting the warm fuzzies I've gotten from previous X-ray film threads. So tell me: Can this stuff be made to behave like normal B&W film, or not? I'd like to use it as a cheap alternative to 10x12 film; I generally do some contact printing and a lot of scanning. Not carbon printing. Am I hoping for too much?

Scott,

No it cannot be made to behave like panchromatic film as xray is orthochromatic. But sometimes it sort of can, depending on what you are photographing. Yes, of course you can use it for other outputs than just carbon. For scanning, you'll want a thinner negative. I scanned in a very thin negative where I stripped the backside emulsion and it looks lovely. I posted this example in another thread. Green sensitive 8x10 exposed through wratten #8 (light yellow) filter. The actual test print is slightly lighter than the uploaded image. Hope this was warmer and fuzzier for you!

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm feeling discouraged a bit by this. Orthochromatic is fine; it's sharpness and detail I'm hoping for. Having to strip the backside emulsion is bordering on a deal-breaker for me - don't want the added hassle. Even with softer portraits, I like to have something sharp in the image; I'm a'feared now that this may not be easily obtainable with X-ray. Which throws my future with the 10x12 a bit in jeopardy...

Scott,

It comes down to your definition of sharp enough. I'm satisfied that X-ray film is not as sharp as film with emulsion on only one side, but it is sharp enough for me...most of the time. If I want ultimate sharpness, I'll use standard film. I'm interested in the opportunities for experimentation, but if you want the sharpest possible results and you're not interested in experimenting, you might be happier with standard films.

How do you do the stripping?

Re: thicker bleaches - there are numerous thick cleaners that are bleach-based and purport to be non-abrasive. Might want to browse the cleaner aisle to the local grocery store...

Well Scott, the only way to know if it'll work for you is to get a box and try it out.

Big Negs Rock!

BTW, red sensitive x ray film is sensitive to red safe lights. The green, red, & blue x ray film, by definition is orthochromatic. That is, is sensitive to only the "correct color of light." Not just not sensitive to red light.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Mark,

I'm confused (big surprise). I understood films sensitive only to blue to be classified as plain, while films sensitive to blue and green to be orthochromatic, and films sensitive to red, green and blue to be panchromatic. I've never heard of a film being sensitive to only green, or red. Even IR film is sensitive to blue and green, and a deep red filter has to be used to minimize the contribution of those parts of the spectrum for the IR effect. Also, I've never seen red sensitive X-ray film offered. Do you have a link?

Mark,

Is there a link for the Red x-ray film? I am interested in a source for that version of film.

Kirk