Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5x7 green xray film

5x7 green xray film

While doing some research I ran into a company that has 5x7 green sensitive xray film that goes by the name provisoN enterprises. The brand of xray film is MLG. I have never heard of the film. I would figure that it is house brand or imported. Has anyone used or heard of this brand? I will be contacting them Monday to see if they sell to private individuals. I will post the answer. They have it listed for $27.99 for 100count half speed green sensitive, at that price it's hard not to get excited.
    Doug

Big Negs Rock!

Re: 5x7 green xray film

Jim Fitzgerald and I (among other) use green sensitive x-ray film. I have Fuji and another brand I don't have in front of me. Works great. Give it a shot.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

I've read about how people are using it and have been planning on making a 5x12 back and use xray. I did find some 5x12 xray which will help. I've been learning carbon and everyone says xray builds contrast good. I've just haven't found 5x7 before

Where did you get it?

I'm waiting for a response the the place to see if the sell to private individuals or just business'. The companies name is provision enterprises and it looks like they are based in the us. Can't remember state.
    Doug

Big Negs Rock!

Do a search on line for x ray film in the size you want.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

I talked to the company today and they will sell to any interested parties. Didn't ask about shipping out of country for those not in the states (sorry). The gentleman that does actual sales was out but I was told that I would get a response tomorrow on shipping and handling costs. Also for those interested I did see some 5x12 offered in blue and green sensitive, something I didn't see at offered at the sites listed in other threads.
    Doug

I use the green X-Ray film, and while it's ok for portraits, it's not as sharp as normal film with emulsion on one side as opposed to two. Vaughn Hutchins showed me some of his carbon prints made with X-ray film, and while I liked the soft effect, they were clearly not as sharp as his prints made with regular film.

I think the effect is interesting, as it relates to the way some soft focus lenses are described as producing a soft image over a sharp one, and it's kind of the way I see without my glasses, since I have one good eye and one that's not good at all. But for those who want the sharpest possible image, I don't think X-ray film is the best option.

Jay,
    I appreciate your insight on xray film. My interest in this film came from some other threads I read and the want for larger formats without having my wife leave me when I order film for it. I currently only shoot 5x7 but I am working on building a5x12 back and bellows. They will probally take me forever to finish though. Oh well. I wasn't looking for a film replacement but just more of a different tool to use. The main reason I got excited was I thought I was going to have to cut 10x12 down andhave never seen 5x7 available. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. Should be interesting. Thanks again Jay.
    Doug

Big Negs Rock!

I like the unique look of the x ray film. I see the difference in prints and actually prefer the x ray film over the standard film. I'm thinking of putting some mirror Mylar in some of the film holders to get the halation the early films and image had that were shot without the anti-halation backing. I just bought 100 sheets of Fuji Green sensitive 350 EI film. My initial images are really quite nice to my eye.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com