Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Super Speed Graphic...

Re: Super Speed Graphic...

Player around a bit more with another image from the Lake George Outing.

Original scan:

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Toss these, move on, and go shoot something in open shade and start fresh, you don't need to buy anything but film.
    Gotta say i agree with frank on this....move on You might also consider a haze/UV filter in general and it might have helped a bit on the shots you showed outdoors.

as a side note....it might be worthwhile to consider making some of these color adjsutments on the film not on the scan. I am not an expert but I am learning quick the use of CC and CB filters. I hate PS and LR.........
    david

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Toss these, move on, and go shoot something in open shade and start fresh, you don't need to buy anything but film.
    Hi Frank/Atlcruiser.

Yeah... I'm not married to these. Actually I think they suck, but it was my first LF outing so what can ya do. I'm going to take your advice though. Shun the sun next time out. Wont's have to deal too much atmospheric haze, super contrasty scenes, sweating to death, etc.

I'm getting my negs processed in a lab in Manhattan so I'm reading about N-1, N-2, etc., developing. I want shadows at ZIII but don't want highlights blown. But shadow or overcast days will cure that.

Also, on needing to purchase nothing but film... too late. I just picked up a Nikon Nikkor-W 210mm f/5.6 in great shape with clean glass on eBay for 170.00. Couldn't resist. Now I just need to find a lens board that will fit that lens and my Super Speed Graphic.

Also Question Frank- I noticed a self portrait of you on line holding a press camera with an awesome grip with a shutter release cable attached to it. Where can I pick one of those up?

Still playing around with images from Adirondacks.

Opinions please... thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
    Gotta say i agree with frank on this....move on You might also consider a haze/UV filter in general and it might have helped a bit on the shots you showed outdoors.

as a side note....it might be worthwhile to consider making some of these color adjsutments on the film not on the scan. I am not an expert but I am learning quick the use of CC and CB filters. I hate PS and LR.........
    I'm going to agree but go another step to what was (if my quick skimming and recollections are accurate) discussed on earlier pages - you seem to be mostly converting these to black and white. There's nothing so wrong with the subject matter (that is, you should be able to find a pleasing composition on such a day under those skies) but if your final goal is black and white, shooting in black and white will give you a lot more brightness range to play with. So will color neg (even more so) but if your goal is black and white, shoot black and white. I believe Acros was available in Quickload and I know T-Max 100 was in Readyload but really just get some holders and learn to load them. It really isn't difficult and will give you much wider choice of film, and save a lot of money.

You can also develop the black and white yourself easily enough.

I actually liked the original scan on post #41. Your exposure really nailed that haze so often seen in the adirondaks. As for me, I only shoot BW and have only manipulated a print 3 or 4 times in 60 years. That doesn't mean I never shot a bad one, I just tossed those. When I first used my Speed Graphic (when I was twelve) with a 6 inch lens, I noticed right away that I was too far away from the subject. So I moved closer. That helped a bunch. Even with a 5 1/2 inch lens it's not a panoramic camera. The 210mm lens will get you closer, and have a more classic perspective than with a 5 1/2.