Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Best Offer" on Ebay

"Best Offer" on Ebay

I don't understand how this works. Apparently the offer has to be above the seller's reserve, but that makes it just like any other auction. What's the point?
    Incidentally, the LF listings has gotten to be such a hodge-podge that IMO it's a PITA to go through. And the "search" feature seems to be a joke, not just in LF either.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: "Best Offer" on Ebay

If the seller likes your offer and clicks the button, you just bought it; the auction is over. Its like a buy it now at your offered price. Buyer can also counter offer, then you get the chance to press the button to buy it now at his counter-offer price.

Bill,

'Best offer' simply allows the seller to accept and review offers on an item. It has a feature where the seller can set a limit as far as automatic rejection or acceptance of an offer...

Cheers,
    Dan

It can work. I bought a non-related photo item for $75 less than the auction's advertised price.

Wait a minute...you bought a non-related photo item?
    How did you do that?

Contrary to the opinion of most on photo sites....

eBay is not just a site for items related to photography. You can buy all sorts of normal, strange and wonderful consumer goods on eBay.!!!

You can not make an offer on an auction. Only a BIN or best offer. The seller can decide to accept it or not.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Problem is, the seller has 48 hours to decide. Your offer is valid as a commit to buy. Another item might come up that is a better deal, but you are stuck to the offer for 48 hours. Never again. I paid the seller $25 to buy my way out, when a nicer 5x7 came up for way less, which I purchased.

"Problem is, the seller has 48 hours to decide."

I agree, 48 hours is way too long. I feel that when someone makes an offer it should be put up or shut up time in a timely manner.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    You can not make an offer on an auction. Only a BIN or best offer. The seller can decide to accept it or not.
    That is how I understand it and what I've seen.

I've "best offered" three or four times and had different experiences each time. My best offer was reasonable in my mind but the interactions with sellers ranged from an automatic (I think) acceptance, to a back-and-forth negotiation (in which I bought at an acceptable price) to a back-and-forth insult match with a seller who's best offer limit was less than 10% different from his BIN price. Once I made an offer and got an automatic (I htink) rejection and counteroffer from the seller.

My feeling is that it can't hurt to make an offer when that option is available. For a common item I feel OK about pushign the limits, but for a hard-to-find item I'd be much more conservative.