Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: separation anxiety

Re: separation anxiety

Thanks all....

Well, all I can go by is what I see. And what I see is a reduction in coverage--very noticable on 11x14--there is an opaque "ring around the collar" that physically obscures the image circle--so there's THAT that I've ALREADY noticed without shooting. I need as much coverage as I can get. Second--when I look through it in the light them things light up---this will cause fog that I can't afford to have--I'm doing reversals and bleaching away fog is the only option--there is no "printing through" the fog. Extra fog will result in lower dmax/contrast--so I just can't use it like it is.....Or i can black it out or shade it out---this cuts out my coverage even further.

Also--this is a ticking time bomb in my opinion---once things go bad they tend to go from bad to worse--usually at the worst time.

thanks again.

I'd try two things before expensive repairs. First, make a mask that fits immediately in front of the lens with a round aperture that prevents image forming light from reaching the damaged area. Second, use a large efficient lens shade, something like a compendium shade, to minimize all extraneous light. The round aperture in the mask might not cause vignetting at small f-stops, even though it will show with the lens wide open.

right, I know all the trix

but I have now relieved myself of the dilemma....

you know, now I can truthfully say that I once had a lens EXACTLY like that and I never noticed image degradation on any image I ever shot with it (seeing as how I NEVER shot it---HA!).

you should try it anyway.....just to be sure. you never know.

are you shooting portraits or landscape? if you are focusing closer it may not be noticeable? what lens?
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

If I had the time to mess around testing and trying to determine if it's the lens or something else doing what I don't want, I would, but I ddon't wanna

the only way to compare is to have a perfect one to compare to and I ain't got one.

I'll now never find out if it actually will work out--its now gone and out of my hands

and I never noticed a difference from a perfect one.

Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post

the only way to compare is to have a perfect one to compare to and I ain't got one.
    No the only way to tell is to shoot it and see if it does what you want it to do. That is the only way to know......
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    No the only way to tell is to shoot it and see if it does what you want it to do. That is the only way to know......
    What Eddie said!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Heat slowly until you see the separation disappears.

Heating a complex lens in order to remove or reduce the discoloured edge separation is not a good idea for old balsamed lenses.
    What has happened around the edge is a combination of oxidation, evaporation of the various organic/aquous solvents from the balsam through the existing tiny gap between the cemented lenses. This eventually leads to solids being formed on both internal surfaces. These are actually white - the tobacco-like colour is due to a component, probably an oxidation product, which stays in the small amount of liquid phase in the attacked area.
    This white deposit is unfortunately, pretty well, undisolvable in anything. I have always had to remove it mechanically in rebalsaming exercises.

Even gentle heating with aged balsam is likely to increase the discoloured area as the yellow/brown pigment will migrate into the old, but now softened, clear balsam.

Canada balsam is very much a natural product - with a complex mixture of dozens of organic and inorganic compounds. Like wine, there are differences between the annual harvests (vintages) and actual tree source (Vineyard of origin)!

NO NO NO---you guys don't have any idea...

I don't have a pre-conceived notion of what I WANT the thing to do---I can make anything DO anything I want with sufficient effort--and so can you.

what I want to do is to see WHAT this particular type of lens does. I never used one before--and looking at other peoples pics don't help me at all..not one bit---I have to USE them to see what they do when I use them the way I use them...BUT--I can't determine what something does if I don't know if it's functioning properly---no way to tell that except to compare to a perfect one, like I said. I thought this was a-ok and then when I got it the story turned out to be otherwise. That's all...I still wanted to play though so I was thinking of repairing it--then I wised up and figured my time is more valuable....just wait for a good one I guess...plus...if the repair guy messed it up, I'd be back in the same boat, right...never knowing and always suspecting.

I was curious to see---not trying to DO anything. I play at this--I do not work--this is not a profession for me. I like to mess around, but without any futzing around wasting unnecessary time.