Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A good backpack for a 4x5 field camera?

Re: A good backpack for a 4x5 field camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I can't figure out how to deal with the interior so that camera and lenses don't just roll all over the place. Do you use wraps or camera/lens cases or have you somehow been able to install padded compartments or what?
    The Photobackpacker trick/mechanism is to use a backerboard that runs the entire length/height of the backpack. Once that is in place in the backpack, you can attach a camera case or lens cases to the backerboard using velcro. Photobackpacker sells the backerboard as well as the camera and lens cases that have velcro attached to the outside walls. You can either buy individual lens cases for each lens or the ones that carry 3 or 4 lenses. The whole thing works really well. I have been using such a backpack, with about 30 lb LF gear that includes the backerboard, a camera case and a lens case (for 3 lenses), for day hikes under 10 miles and I'm really happy with it.

// Atul

Tamrac Expedition 8x - it carries my Chamonix 5x4, 4 lenses, 10 double film holders, meter, filters, etc, etc. Velcro partitions can adjust to your needs. Tripod straps on in the middle of the back and sits in a foot pocket. It's well padded for protection of equipment. And there's plenty of room for a DSLR and lunch and drinks. Its also very comfortable - well, as comfortable as anything can be when the whole load weighs in at 35 to 40 lbs. Unladen it's not going to be the lightest of what's on offer but it's an excellent choice. I've used mine for 5 years and it's got several years left in it yet.

Check out F-Stop Gear - http://fstopgear.com/. They make a line of bags including 3 technical backpacks. You store your camera/lenses in ICUs (internal bag) which can be swapped out of the backpacks (when in the bag they're held in place by velcro straps attached to the backpack frame). They have four different sizes of ICUs so you can mix/match. The whole thing is comfy for long hikes, and it doesn't look like a camera bag.

I'm using the Tilopa right now (medium sized bag) with a large ICU. I'm going to grab and extra large ICU so I can carry two more lenses. Right now I'm carrying a Toyo 45cf, Fujinon 125mm f/5.6, Fujinon 250mm F/6.3, 10 holders, a Sekonic light meter, loupe, release cable, filters and a notebook in the main ICU compartment. Darkcloth and changing bag are in the main compartment, with plenty of room for a jacket, lunch, a digital SLR and other odds and ends. You can't see it in the pics but the backpack flap also has two see-through pockets to store stuff. There's also an external top pocket and a large rear pocket, as well as a roomy internal laptop sleeve. If for some reason this isn't big enough, they make a larger bag called the Satori.

I just got a F-Stop Satori EXP with Large Pro ICU at the weekend. They are expensive but are very good. Currently have my Ebony 45SU and all the accesories in the ICU and 3 additional lenses in a seperate Photobackpacker lens case. Still sorting out the best arrangement but the comfort already makes my gear feel slightly lighter.

I received my Mystery Ranch pack and have loaded my photobackpacker elements in it. I is going to be a great choice. The pack is superbly built and about as comfortable as a pack can be. Here a a few photos of what it looks like. Now I just need to invent some time to use it!

AlexisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000066.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	72295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000065.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	72296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000064.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	72297

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    Check out F-Stop Gear - http://fstopgear.com/. They make a line of bags including 3 technical backpacks. You store your camera/lenses in ICUs (internal bag) which can be swapped out of the backpacks (when in the bag they're held in place by velcro straps attached to the backpack frame). They have four different sizes of ICUs so you can mix/match. The whole thing is comfy for long hikes, and it doesn't look like a camera bag.

I'm using the Tilopa right now (medium sized bag) with a large ICU. I'm going to grab and extra large ICU so I can carry two more lenses. Right now I'm carrying a Toyo 45cf, Fujinon 125mm f/5.6, Fujinon 250mm F/6.3, 10 holders, a Sekonic light meter, loupe, release cable, filters and a notebook in the main ICU compartment. Darkcloth and changing bag are in the main compartment, with plenty of room for a jacket, lunch, a digital SLR and other odds and ends. You can't see it in the pics but the backpack flap also has two see-through pockets to store stuff. There's also an external top pocket and a large rear pocket, as well as a roomy internal laptop sleeve. If for some reason this isn't big enough, they make a larger bag called the Satori.

The Tilopa is a great bag for all day outings. I have the Tilopa BC, and use the laptop sleeve to hold a water bladder - there is a slit with velcro designed to run the drinking hose out of the bag, and a velcro loop to hold the drinking hose to a strap.

These are exp0ensive, but there is a good reason they are continually short on stock for the past 2 years.

And actually the best part of these bags is the zipper on the back panel. That way the back panel never sits on the ground getting dirty or muddy anf then, in turn, getting your shirt messy.

I recently got an extra large pro ICU for my Tilopa that I'm very happy with.

In the ICU alone -

- Toyo 45a
    - 90, 150, 250, 400T
    - 7 holders
    - light meter
    - color meter
    - lee filter holder and 5 filters
    - loupe
    - cable
    - notebook

While the Photo Backpacker stuff looks nice, I'd hate to have to zip/unzip every case for every shot.

My 5x7 Speeder lives in a Jansport Equinox. No complaints.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

One thing which never comes up is the color of the pack. I hate loud stuff outdoors, though bright gear can obviously be easier to spot if you wander away from the camp.
    I like Forest green or blue. There's a reason for it. Bugs like the showy color. But the worst
    of all is black fabric. It gets hot and mosquitos think you're a bear. Unfotunately, I got a
    real good deal on a huge black pack which I need to use this summer. The solution - a hiking partner with a light complexion - not a mosquito repellant, but an attractant!