Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A good backpack for a 4x5 field camera?

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Re: A good backpack for a 4x5 field camera?

These topics are so ridiculous. So many variables including taste. Most people don't venture a half mile from the car. Others backpack for a week. I wouldn't use my 'regular' pack while exploring the Zion Narrows. I wouldn't take all my gear to a mountain peak, either. Each hike determines what pack to use.

I backpacked on the Appalachian Trail in Shenandoah NP for 3 days with a very light LF outfit. It's possible, especially if you take a minimal tripod. I had planned to carry the LF gear further (30 day hike) but I offloaded it because I had to keep up with a hiking buddy and there wasn't time to do LF properly.

I may try this again this month on the PCT. But I will hike in, camp, do photography, then hike back out.

I used ultralight gear by Six Moons Designs and just wrapped the camera in the dark cloth, everything inside ziplock bags. Total weight was under 30 lbs for 5-6 days.

jadphoto

Chillidog,

You're basically right, the backing board is the smooth stuff, so are the individual cases. You get a short piece of the grabby stuff that goes between. I'm sure the Velcro company would have used those self same terms if only they'da thought of it.

You can carry the tripod on the side, there's a pocket down low that will hold one or two of the legs and the tension straps will go around the tripod. Or, if you prefer you can use separate straps through the carabineer straps. At least, I assume those straps on thr front are for carabineers.

Bruce (Photobackpacker) has photos on his web site that show the pack(s) in use. You may get some ideas from that.

JD

I've used an F64 backpack for years. I used the large 8x10 size for 8x10 and 4x5. With 4x5 there's room for the camera, lenses, and accessories with room left over for water, lunch, extra shirt, etc. With 8x10 there's not a lot of extra room but it held camera, three lenses. 3-5 holders, and the usual accessories. A tripod supposedly can be strapped to it but I've never tried it.

There have been many questions like this over the years. Do an advanced title-only search for "backpack" and you'll find more information than you could possibly want.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I've got an f64 for my 4x5 setup. It's great for putting everything, including my fuji 6x9 rangefinder, lots of lenses, and lots of film.

Not very comfortable for long walks though, and am considering one of those photobackpacker ones myself.

They seem quite targeted at the 4x5 crowd, though. How are they when it comes to adding other cameras, like a 6x9, or a 35mm slr ?

jadphoto

Lordvader (or "he who should not be named?),

I haven't tried gear other than 4x5 in the Photo backpacker, but I know folks who will use Pelican case inserts to hold digital or medium format gear in them.

I plan on trying it myself some day.

JD

Wood cameras are awesome!

I use a Lowepro PhotoTrekker II AW for short hikes with all my gear. It's not comfy for long hikes (2-3+ miles) when fully loaded.

When I teach in the valley and have it on my back for 4 hours a day, I use my Osprey Aether 85 pack, something much better for holding gear on your back longer.

My MF gear goes in the basic Canon backpack you get at any retailer...
    Staff Photographer - The Ansel Adams Gallery
    Yosemite National Park, CA
    www.mikereevesphotography.com

Photobackpacker is the standard for LF. I have several of his lens cases. If price is an issue check out Adorama Joe & Mary Farace bags not as much room as Photobackpacker buy to $70.00 a bargain.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...ature1=Adorama
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I’ve heard good things about all the packs above.

When I was searching for one, I chose the Kelty Redwing, whose latest incarnation is below. Many good features – my favorite is the comfortable design of the padded shoulder and waist straps. They “reduce” the weight like no other pack I tried. I’m pretty sure these packs come in two sizes. The Redwing is also quite affordable – in the $100 range – but they’ll drop down to $75 during sales and the holiday seasons.

If you have a local retailer, it might be worth taking your LF equipment there and trying out different packs. Depending on what format you shoot, how much equipment you carry, and how far you like to hike, a pack’s design will make a lot of difference. For one person, the number & size of the pockets might be important. To another, the straps, weight, or amount of space could be more critical.

Don’t forget the rain cover. ;^)
    My f/64 backpack is starting to come apart at some seams after about 15 years of use so I'll likely be looking for another pack fairly soon. I've always heard great things about the Kelty Redwing and would probably get one but I can't figure out how to deal with the interior so that camera and lenses don't just roll all over the place. Do you use wraps or camera/lens cases or have you somehow been able to install padded compartments or what?

I much prefer padded compartments and I know that padding material can be purchased but I can't figure out how to attach it to the interior of a Kelty Redwing, which of course isn't really made for camera gear. Any information about how you do it would be appreciated.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

brian, check out the photobackpacker web site. there is a velcro panel on the inside and you can configure all you stuff to hook ont it. IIRC the velcro panel can be purchased alone and installed inot any pack that will fit it.
    david