Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A good backpack for a 4x5 field camera?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wink A good backpack for a 4x5 field camera?

I'm looking for recommendations for a good backpack for a 4x5 field. Something with dividers that can snugly hold the camera, film/holders, meter, etc. And, if I can hang or have room for the tri-pod, even better. What tri-pod is recommended: sturdy an light weight?

As always, thanks for any suggestions/guidance. One day I hope to be the one guiding here on LFPF.

Re: A good backpack for a 4x5 field camera?

It comes down to how much you want to carry, and what type of equipment you own..

One setup I walk with has a Chamonix, 3 lenses, plus everything else I need, in a divided rucksack, weights only 14 lbs. All lenses were sourced for being of modest size and weight (I.e. Nikon 200m, etc).

My friends who use Linhofs are carrying close to 50 lbs, but more lenses, normal lenses, lots of extra gear. I think both use a photo backpacker branded gear.

You need to start with an analyst of what you got, want to carry, and find a solution that fits.

Bob

If you're looking to travel light, the m-rock arches bag might be the choice. I have one and a much larger kelty redwing.

The arches bag carries my Chamomix 4x5, three lenses, spot meter, filters, 7-8 filmholders and a bunch of other small accessories.

The Kelty carries everything but the kitchen sink, and by that time it feels like I'm carrying the kitchen sink. Not fun!
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Check out Photo Backpacker. I (and many people on this forum) have bought from them with great results.

-Joshua

Photobackpacker is where I got my modified Kelty Redwing. Great bag, but HUGE for 4x5. Great if you want to take everything along. Not so great for traveling light.

http://www.m-rock.com/arches-digital-camera-bag.html

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dunn View Post
    Check out Photo Backpacker. I (and many people on this forum) have bought from them with great results.

-Joshua
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

jadphoto

Another vote for Photo Backpacker. Great gear/great service!

Something that we all lose track of is that just because a pack (Kelty Redwing for example) has lots of interior room we don't have to fill it!

Wish I could remember that when I'm traveling!

JD

Linhof sells the Koenig backpacks for their Technika, TK and Technorama cameras.

I use a Eberlock hunting pack European X1 . It has two square compartments that are great to put a Chamonix in one and lenses in another. It has an integrated scabbard that fits nicely a Berlebach tripod and room on a side pocket for dark cloth and extra holders.

Note that i use the cases from photobackpacker.

I also use a Kelty 2600 when i want to carry more lenses. I found the Kelty a more comfortable pack but the tripod has to go on the side which is not as good.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

I have an older Kelty Redwing that I have used for about 20 years, and a newer Osprey Atmos 35 for my Wisner 4x5 traditional and my newer ( for me ) Sinar Norma 4x5. The Osprey is very lightweight and much more comfortable.

I use an Osprey Aether 60 for multiday trips. Its great, and it holds my camera (Toyo CF), tripod strapped to it, and everything I need for up to about 7 days out. Heres the link:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/produc...specifications

I also bring a very small daypack to hold the camera, lenses, film, lunch, water for day trips during the backpack trip. Keeps everything in one place, and I can just grab it off the top of the main pack and go...

http://www.rei.com/product/778466/rei-flash-18-pack