Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Help please? - interesting Biographies of Photographers

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    516

    Help please? - interesting Biographies of Photographers

    yes, any help would be more than gratefully appreciated, please?

    I have plenty of decent quality photographic books from the likes of Brett, Michael Smith, Pirkle Jones, Paul Strand, Morley Baer and Saint Ansel etc

    what I'm really interested in is more of the 'nitty gritty biography stuff' - the kind of writing about photographers on what 'made them tick etc etc', their lives, passions, interests etc - Lee Miller's biography is an example, where there was a whole range of stuff from relationships, travel, bohemian living, food, alcohol etc etc and the odd spot of photography per se, so that sort of stuff

    fwiw, I have 'essays on Paul Strand's life' - that's not what I'm after and I've read Edward's 'day books' and Saint A's stuff too

    it's those with 'a bohemian slant' that I'm particularly after

    thanks for looking (and possibly also assisting)

    andrew

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    3,979

    Re: Help please? - interesting Biographies of Photographers

    I haven't seen much of what your asking for.
    Brassi's letters to his parents is interesting.
    The biography of Tina Modoti gives some different and interesting insights into Weston. (For example, I did not realize from the Daybooks that she had "cut him off.")
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    516

    Re: Help please? - interesting Biographies of Photographers

    Hi Wilhelm/Bill

    that's great, many thanks - it's a very decent start

    regards

    andrew

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 1997
    Location
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,697

    Re: Help please? - interesting Biographies of Photographers

    I don't know what you mean by the "nitty-gritty" or a "bohemian slant." But Diane Arbus was bisexual and you can find some information about that aspect of her life in "Diane Arbus - A Biography" by Patricia Bosworth. Ditto for Ruth Bernhhard and her auto-biography "Between Life And Art." There were various rumors about Ansel Adams' possible affairs or hoped-for affairs and there's a little of that in Mary Street Alinder's biography of him. And of course there's always Robert Mapplethorpe and his biography titled "Mapplethorpe" by Patricia Morrisroe. These are all pretty serious and good books (though there was a lot of controversy about some of the stuff in Alinder's) and the "nitty gritty" or "bohemian" aspects are only a minor part of them so if it's an expose' you're after they probably don't qualify.

    I own quite a few other biographies and auto-biographies of photographers but since most serious biographies contain "nitty gritty" information - that's kind of the idea of a biography - I don't know how to distinguish those that contain "nitty gritty" (or "bohemian") information from any others.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    on the banks of the Potomac
    Posts
    1,726

    Re: Help please? - interesting Biographies of Photographers

    There are several good biographies of Walker Evans; a full one by Belinda Rathbone(?)
    as well as "The Last Years of Walker Evans" by Jerry Thompson, and a recent memoir by his second wife. These all sound like what you're looking for.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    516

    Re: Help please? - interesting Biographies of Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I don't know what you mean by the "nitty-gritty" or a "bohemian slant." But Diane Arbus was bisexual and you can find some information about that aspect of her life in "Diane Arbus - A Biography" by Patricia Bosworth. Ditto for Ruth Bernhhard and her auto-biography "Between Life And Art." There were various rumors about Ansel Adams' possible affairs or hoped-for affairs and there's a little of that in Mary Street Alinder's biography of him. And of course there's always Robert Mapplethorpe and his biography titled "Mapplethorpe" by Patricia Morrisroe. These are all pretty serious and good books (though there was a lot of controversy about some of the stuff in Alinder's) and the "nitty gritty" or "bohemian" aspects are only a minor part of them so if it's an expose' you're after they probably don't qualify.

    I own quite a few other biographies and auto-biographies of photographers but since most serious biographies contain "nitty gritty" information - that's kind of the idea of a biography - I don't know how to distinguish those that contain "nitty gritty" (or "bohemian") information from any others.

    Hi Brian

    I'm very grateful for this and for the content, thanks indeed

    regards

    andrew

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    516

    Re: Help please? - interesting Biographies of Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    There are several good biographies of Walker Evans; a full one by Belinda Rathbone(?)
    as well as "The Last Years of Walker Evans" by Jerry Thompson, and a recent memoir by his second wife. These all sound like what you're looking for.

    Hi Mark

    thanks for this and for the time taken

    regards

    andrew

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hamilton, Canada
    Posts
    963

    Re: Help please? - interesting Biographies of Photographers

    O'Keeffe and Stieglitz: An American Romance is an interesting view of the machinations of art and manipulation by these two.
    Portrait in Light and Shadow: The Life of Yousuf Karsh is the best on him I have seen.
    Bill
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    516

    Re: Help please? - interesting Biographies of Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    O'Keeffe and Stieglitz: An American Romance is an interesting view of the machinations of art and manipulation by these two.
    Portrait in Light and Shadow: The Life of Yousuf Karsh is the best on him I have seen.
    Hi Bill

    thank you too for your input

    regards

    andrew

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montgomery, Il. USA
    Posts
    541

    Re: Help please? - interesting Biographies of Photographers

    ManRay, American Artist
    Margaret Bourke-White

    ManRay would be more "Bohemian" and likely more candid.

Similar Threads

  1. Photographers who buy other photographers' prints
    By alec4444 in forum On Photography
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2007, 16:21
  2. A Few German Photographers
    By Gordon Moat in forum On Photography
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2007, 06:52
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-Feb-2007, 16:55
  4. Overcoming Photographer's Block
    By Jeff_4368 in forum On Photography
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 23-Mar-2005, 14:36
  5. Historical Photographers
    By William Lindley in forum On Photography
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28-Feb-2000, 14:32

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •