Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Really? $11000?

Re: Really? $11000?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have bought a few lenses from Dagor77 -- none too dear (19" RD Artar, a neat little Graphic-Raptar 210mm). You get what you pay for...and sometimes one does not need more!

I have a very nice 600mm Apo Ronar CL that I will eventually sell -- I wish it could bring as much per mm as the really big dogs! I do not think I will be able to get back all of the $400 I paid for it -- it is nice to look at, but that is all I have done with it since I bought is several years ago. It ended up being too big of a beast for my 8x10 (Sinar 5.5" boards)...and I have a 24" RD Artar that suits me fine.

Vaughn
    Vaughn, brilliant minds think alike. Or perhaps not too brilliant since neither of us shot with our Ronars. I sold mine for a loss and bought a 24" RD Artar as well.

As for the lens in question, I hope whoever paid $11k for it will put it to very good use.

Rodenstock Apo Ronar 1000mm f/16 CL
    US $3,138.88
    Item number: 110722169581

Rodenstock 1000mm F16 APO Ronar HR CL unused

US $5,000

Item number: 200631994285

David J. Heinrich

But then there are ones like this:

Item # 180703948709
    1070mm Rodenstock CL Ronar F14
    $706.96

My friend Tim pointed out that it probably sold for less than it would have otherwise due to fears of a market crash (surrounding the US credit-downgrade). I almost bid on it, but decided to let it pass. I hadn't really done enough thinking about it and it would have been an impulse-bid.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Very simple. iwantitiwantitiwantit, followed by "If I bid insanely high I'll get it for sure. No one else will bid insanely high." This is the eBay bidding strategy once advocated by the person who posts here as Leigh. Every once in a while two people who pursue that strategy collide, sometimes spectacularly. .
    That's actually my strategy too, on something I feel I absolutely have to have. If I think an items will go for $300, I'll bid $2,000 just to foil the snipers. A few years ago I did end up with a $700 bid on a postcard I wanted. I went ahead and paid it, even though the price was seven times its market value.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    That's actually my strategy too, on something I feel I absolutely have to have. If I think an items will go for $300, I'll bid $2,000 just to foil the snipers. A few years ago I did end up with a $700 bid on a postcard I wanted. I went ahead and paid it, even though the price was seven times its market value.
    A similar and perhaps safer auction strategy is to bid up the price fairly high (bidding against yourself if necessary) early in the auction. The snipers and low ballers just stay away and won't even add it to their watch list. I've seen this work for fairly common items, for rare items I doubt it would work.

I may be wrong but the 1070mm was a four-glass lens, not a six or eight glass lens like the expensive ones that just went on E**y. Not that I personally care, but apparently those collecting these things do.

I had some time ago an email exchange with Andrew G. re: my 1000/16. The one I have has several dimensional specs that differ both from the data sheet of the "vanilla" 1000/16 and of the HR version, e.g., its length is 202mm and not 192mm, the thread diameter is 127mm instead of 115mm.

My impression if that these lenses were rare enough and (perhaps) built-to-order that Rodenstock never cared much about keeping the data sheet up-to-date. It's just a guess.

Hi,

all of the recently offered and sold Apo Ronar's -CL 16/1000 were the latest 6-element version .. independent from what was said on e++ .. plus a non-applying sheet was shown .. the wrong information was probably taken from the original purchases from C.P. ** .. may be that not too many actually ever mounted or even used that superb lens .. which indeed is a pity .. but for collectors owning and looking at such a beauty may be all they want .. btw there were even very few MC-versions.

best,

joerg

Actually both sellers just 'took' the clip of the lens that I had on my page, I've yet to see a cutaway drawing of a six element..have you by any chance got one? I won't pull apart any glass like those to check as I don't want to goof with any alignment.

There is also a very good chance(as a prior poster mentioned) that Rodenstock may have changed their own specs, we'll never really know.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Andrew, Congrat's. Nice to be rewarded! Take Artara out to diner!