Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canyon de Chelly tours

Drew Wiley

Re: Canyon de Chelly tours

It's been a long time, but I found a 360 perfect at the rim directly across the canyon from the ruins. But it was November light. I don't recall how many times I briefly went there. But the best Mex-Tex food I've ever eaten was in a tiny restaurant inside a Navajo trailer house just outside Kayenta. My stomach can't handle spicy stuff now. But from the Can rim, the angular light made out every bit of texture in the swirly sandstone above the ruin, and all the hand-hold the Anasazi had pecked in the cliff.

Re: Canyon de Chelly tours

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    Does anyone have any updates from the last couple of years? I'd like to visit there in mid-March. Paul
    Sorry, I should have updated everyone after our trip. I had contacted John Sexton and he said to check with the hotels in the area because they can get in touch with guides in the area. We stay at the Holiday Inn at the entrance and they booked a tour guide for us. I don't remember the price but it was very reasonable. The guide's first name was Kay and we left around 6:00 am in his 4WD truck. We stopped at about 5 different sites before White House Ruins which was the last site visited and the tour lasted 5 hours. Kay was very personable and the tour was very enjoyable. Mid-March should be a good time to visit but check weather conditions you never can tell what the weather will bring. My wife and I were out in the southwest at the end of April 2017 and there was a sudden winter storm that dropped 6 inches of snow on us in Santa Fe two days before we left. My wife said two days ago that the southwest was calling her and I said it has been calling me to. Make the trip, I don't think you will regret it.
    Pat