Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Rest in Peace...Per Volquartz 1947-2011

Re: Rest in Peace...Per Volquartz 1947-2011

What sad news. I never had the opportunity to meet Per in person, but I have read many of his posts and admired his work. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Per was generous with his time, even with rank beginners. In 2009, he spent an afternoon with me teaching me view camera movements and composition basics. And, he was gracious enough to sit for me. This is one of my first LF photographs, which was taken with the knowledge he passed to me the day before.

Per
    Goldfield Court House

I was fortunate enough to attend Per's first "Free" workshop in Joshua Tree about 10 years ago. He was such an amazing, patient and selfless teacher; I followed him to Zion, Olympic, Bodie, Lone Pine, Mt. Shasta . . . . I will never be able to open a camera again without thinking of Per. We have lost a giant. I hope he somehow knows how much everyone cared for him, and how sad we all are today.

I feel fortunate and privileged to have met Per this may in Tonopah. His helpfulness and lack of airs and genuine interest in our own photography needs so impressed me.

I watched him examine the sky and landscape, moving rocks to the side with his cane as if he had his own personal relationship with the the surface of the planet. Interesting that Jim posted a picture of Per surveying the mountain ranges from the top of a ridge. That seemed to me to summarize his love of the world we have temporary mastery over.

We planned so many things to do together. He was going to post his work on my website to encourage more of the digital folk to understand the values in LF photography. He offered to take me under his wing for film and print processing and I was so looking forward to learning from him. He did all these generous things and never with a sense of lineage to the greats, name-dropping or pointing out his time with Ansel Adams and the like. In the very short time I spent with him at Tonopah, we were all moved by his quiet, modest and intellectually honest approach to everyone, his prize students, old friends and newcomers to him, folk like Edde, Al and I.

His effect on others here and no doubt over the world is obviously such that his memory will always be kept alive with appreciation, gratitude, respect and joy.

May he rest in peace!

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by matthew blais View Post
    My friend and mentor, Per Volquartz passed away this morning due to several complications from a kidney infection. He fought the fight...

Per was responsible for bringing many photo and LF enthusiasts together for the last 10 years, offering free Workshop/Get Togethers at various locations. Myself and others benefited through his gracious ability to share not only his knowledge and love of photography and art, but his friendship.

He will be missed by many...
    Matt,

Your fitting tribute was followed by so many other photographers sharing grief and sympathy for passing of a gentle teacher and example to us all. Thanks to your leadership, Ted Stoddard, Jim Fitzgerald and many others, the workshop tribute so mean here looked forward to is about to take place. Already it's very well subscribed and about 22 or more will attend. Details are here. We want to make sure that everyone here knows of this first Free Workshop in Per's honor.

Everyone who wishes to celebrate in photography his joy of life, is welcome and we'll all learn something new. I have a special request for any photographs of him that we could print out or, if you are going to attend, bring in person.

Asher

If anyone wishes to join the free workshop, let us now immediately so we can look into renting a 3rd house. There's plenty more space in the RV park and reasonable hotels nearby too. We need to know fast so we can make sure we can accommodate everyone. I have no mailing list, but have tried to identify everyone who has shown an interest in the thread linked above. I now realize that this thread has even more names. My apologies if we didn't contact you personally.

Please send pictures of Per, files up to any size via http://yousendit.com to editor.OPFATmac.com (replace AT, of course by @) That way my email will not be filled up! Let us know if you want it printed by itself as art or if it can be combined in one large memento I can make and print out.