Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basics of 4x5 B&W development

Basics of 4x5 B&W development

Hi There.

I just bought my first 4x5 camera, an Orbit rail system.

I have some limited experience with MF 120 black and white development with D-76 and Diafine. I would not call myself an expert, but I do well with these developers for my purposes.

I am curious if someone can provide me some links to some information on learning to develop 4x5 sheet film. I would prefer if I could develop it in daylight (similar to 120 in tank) if possible as I don't really have a darkroom. I saw the Yankee systems at B&H, but they all have bad reviews. I was hoping to find something a little more reliable to use.

Thanks!

E.

Re: Basics of 4x5 B&W development

I just started about 3 months ago now doing 4x5 and so I started my own film developing. I use BTZS tubes exclusively for b&w and c-41 color development, and the results have been pretty good! I use a small guest bathroom at my apartment to do all my developing. Personally I would look at buying (or making) a set of these and have at it. But I am no expert either

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I just started about 3 months ago now doing 4x5 and so I started my own film developing. I use BTZS tubes exclusively for b&w and c-41 color development, and the results have been pretty good! I use a small guest bathroom at my apartment to do all my developing. Personally I would look at buying (or making) a set of these and have at it. But I am no expert either
    That stuff is awesome. The tubes is a genius idea. I wonder if I could make my own out of PVC and plumbing caps.

I'd suggest beginning with the LF forum homepage, if you haven't already....

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

There's a section on developing...with a good amount of reliable information...

(I personally stick with trays and tanks for 4x5 - only using daylight tanks for smaller formats)

Cheers,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Bontrager_1 View Post
    Hi There.

I just bought my first 4x5 camera, an Orbit rail system.

I have some limited experience with MF 120 black and white development with D-76 and Diafine. I would not call myself an expert, but I do well with these developers for my purposes.

I am curious if someone can provide me some links to some information on learning to develop 4x5 sheet film. I would prefer if I could develop it in daylight (similar to 120 in tank) if possible as I don't really have a darkroom. I saw the Yankee systems at B&H, but they all have bad reviews. I was hoping to find something a little more reliable to use.

Thanks!

E.
    Last edited by DanK; 12-Jul-2011 at 21:06. Reason: add

I've used the Yankee tank for about 100 sheets of 4x5, and have uneven development in many instances. That seems to be a common problem with that tank.

I recently purchased a Nikor stainless steel tank, and I'm hoping for more consistent results with it.

Be advised these are expensive ($200 - $250 range), but likely worth it if the results are as expected.

- Leigh

Kevin Kolosky

you certainly don't need a "darkroom" to tray process film. All you need is a dark room!! I use a closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    you certainly don't need a "darkroom" to tray process film. All you need is a dark room!! I use a closet.
    Very true!

I use my bathroom with towels blocking the light from under the doors as my darkroom for loading my 120 film. I suppose it might do for trays, but the space is very tight. It's completely dark.

I just got into 4x5 myself. I have yet to develop anything yet but I ordered one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Format-Fil...QQcmdZViewItem

From everyone I have read and seen online it is the simplest and easiest way to develop 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    I just got into 4x5 myself. I have yet to develop anything yet but I ordered one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Format-Fil...QQcmdZViewItem

From everyone I have read and seen online it is the simplest and easiest way to develop 4x5.
    i learned to process in tray in college, then swiched to the jobo tanks. since building my own processing kit at home i started using one of these mod holders. i love it. but be warned, it's a little fragile, so don't manhandle it.

sometimes i do get areas of uneven development where the sheet is held in the holder. but it usually disappears once i scan.

the greatest advantage for me is that i live in an rv that's smaller than my college dorm. so only using one tank for all the formats i shoot on is wonderful. also, there is no possible way i can make this place dark, so a daylight tank is my only option.
    aaronamodt.com

I used the BTZS tubes for about 12 years. It's a very good, simple system, I never scratched the film and always had even development. Once the film is loaded and the tubes capped you do everything from there in light. I had six tubes so I did six sheets at a time. You could do more with more tubes but I rarely had a lot of film to process so six sheets at a time was fine for me. As you become more advanced you'll probably be processing different sheets for different times and the tubes are nice for that because you can use different times in the same run.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.