Thread: NIB AGFA DuoScan HiD Twinplate Color Flatbed Scanner, Anyone here still use it?

NIB AGFA DuoScan HiD Twinplate Color Flatbed Scanner, Anyone here still use it?

I just bought a NIB AGFA DuoScan HiD Twinplate Color Flatbed Scanner for $99 bucks.

I have read some specs and it seems like a good deal for ( being brand new in the box!)

Is there anone here that still uses this or have used this scanner. I know I am going to have to buy a ner PCI card to make it work on my windows box. Running win7 64x and will need a SCSI-2 connection.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who uses this scanner for 4x5 and 8x10

Re: NIB AGFA DuoScan HiD Twinplate Color Flatbed Scanner, Anyone here still use it?

Is there anone here that still uses this or have used this scanner.
    Yes.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who uses this scanner for 4x5 and 8x10
    This scanner works much better with Vuescan than the OEM software.

The optical quality of the scanner is excellent. Use the transparent tray for scanning sheet film. Forget about the holders.

Just scan some film and see how it works.

Re: NIB AGFA DuoScan HiD Twinplate Color Flatbed Scanner, Anyone here still use it?

Get VueScan and don't even waste time trying to use the OEM drivers- it's unlikely they will work with Win7 x64. Hope your PC can still take a PCI slot for a SCSI-2 card. If so they are easily found for peanuts.

Thanks Fellas, I cant wait to get it now. Do you use any special mounts, (wet, glass, ect) when using the flatbed portion of the scanner?

I already bought the VueScan software and I am awaiting the scanner any day now.

Thanks for the info.

My Mobo has 2 PCI slots and 4 PCI-E (e=express) slots, I hope I can install a SCSI_2 card in my board. My MOBO is the DFI lanparty UT X58 T3eH8 and the slots are as follows.
    3 PCI Express (Gen 2) x16 slots
    (2-way CrossFire at x16/x16 transfer rate lanes;
    or
    3-way SLI at x16/x8/x8 transfer rate lanes)
    1 PCI Express x4 slot
    2 PCI slots

I have the 3 way SLI populated with Nvidia GTX460's so my 2 PCI slots are open. I hope they are all the same
    Thanks again
    Last edited by akfreak; 15-Jul-2011 at 16:58. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    Thanks Fellas, I cant wait to get it now. Do you use any special mounts, (wet, glass, ect) when using the flatbed portion of the scanner?

I already bought the VueScan software and I am awaiting the scanner any day now.

Thanks for the info.

My Mobo has 2 PCI slots and 4 PCI-E (e=express) slots, I hope I can install a SCSI_2 card in my board. My MOBO is the DFI lanparty UT X58 T3eH8 and the slots are as follows.
    3 PCI Express (Gen 2) x16 slots
    (2-way CrossFire at x16/x16 transfer rate lanes;
    or
    3-way SLI at x16/x8/x8 transfer rate lanes)
    1 PCI Express x4 slot
    2 PCI slots

I have the 3 way SLI populated with Nvidia GTX460's so my 2 PCI slots are open. I hope they are all the same
    Thanks again
    I would reccomend buying an Adaptec PCI SCSI card with the proper cable interface. Adaptec is very good about keeping there drivers updated. However, more than likely Win 7 will install a driver for the adapter but don't that to the bank without checking.

In the past Windows XP always recognized a SCSI card and loaded a driver if one wasn't to be had from the OEM.

Wet mounting is a tricky business directly on the platen or lower film tray. IMO, your gains will only be marginal anyway, not worth the expense or hassle with this scanner. Just dry scan and learn the capability of the scanner. I think you will be very pleased with sheet film scans.

Thanks Mr. Bryant, I will do just that buy an adaptec and learn hoe to use this scanner. I just got it today, I didnt realize how big this thing is. The box is Huge, I have only had the little flatbeds/all in one scanner printer/fax junkers. This looks to be more of a professional scanner. Considering the box says Mac User Award 1996, this thing bust of cost a fortune when it was new. I cant believer I found a new in the box for $99 shipped.

As to the driver, I know how to uninstall an oem driver and re install the Adaptec one, piece of cake. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    Thanks Mr. Bryant, I will do just that buy an adaptec and learn hoe to use this scanner. I just got it today, I didnt realize how big this thing is. The box is Huge, I have only had the little flatbeds/all in one scanner printer/fax junkers. This looks to be more of a professional scanner. Considering the box says Mac User Award 1996, this thing bust of cost a fortune when it was new. I cant believer I found a new in the box for $99 shipped.

As to the driver, I know how to uninstall an oem driver and re install the Adaptec one, piece of cake. I will keep you posted on my progress.
    Check out this thread which should be helpful:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=26151

Adapter on the way $15 bucks