Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New deardorfs?

Re: New deardorfs?

Good luck with the venture.
    A thought occured to me about Mahogany (the real stuff - not the current range of hardwoods which go under this name). This has been a protected species for decades - and has nothing to do with the Cuba/US problem. How on earth did you get your hands on the stuff in the later years of the original enterprise? And how will you do it now?
    Is it a question of recycling old bar inventory and such like?

Joshua Tree, California

The web site doesn't give any real details about either camera. I guess one is supposed to know about them but I don't.

Ed, look up 'thedeardorffguy' here; IIRC his site has the history.
    Suffice it to say that the Deardorff is/was the industry-standard wooden 8x10 camera from the 1930s-80s, and are still very popular due to their usability and build quality.

Joshua Tree, California

I understand that but you would think there would be a lot of photos and specifications. Otherwise they are asking for 1/2 down on more or less faith.

Just a quick plug for Barry - I bought my old 8x10 as well as numerous accessories and parts for both the 8x10 and 5x7 from him over the past few years, he's been truly great to work with in every instance, patient, polite with great packing, quick shipping and everything always better than described. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him, I know he's been working on getting this up and running for years and am excited that he's finally be able to make it happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kelsey View Post
    I understand that but you would think there would be a lot of photos and specifications. Otherwise they are asking for 1/2 down on more or less faith.
    I think anyone forking out thousands for a 'dorff will know what they are getting into. They're sort of a cult item, plus specs are available at many sites - Cameraeccentric. com being one.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Great news Barry. I have bought a few parts from you over the last couple of years since acquiring my 1950 V8. Best of luck with the continuing venture.

It's great to see the Deardorff name back!
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

L_F_Deardorff_&_Sons,_Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kelsey View Post
    The web site doesn't give any real details about either camera. I guess one is supposed to know about them but I don't.
    Sorry that we don't have more details up on our new web site yet. The specs are the exact same as the old Chicago cameras. Send us an email and we'll drop you a PDF file with all the specifications. Look for updates to the web site soon.

Barry C.
    LF Deardorff & Sons, Inc.

L_F_Deardorff_&_Sons,_Inc.

LF Deardorff & Sons contact information

Hello again,

Just in case anyone has any other questions, don't hesitate to give us a call or send us an email. We'll answer promptly. And, do watch for updates to the web site, it's only been up for a month and is far from complete.

Here are some things that will be added to our web site as soon as we can:

PDF downloads for original company literature. Why read someone else's plagiarism or misinformation when you can read the original source docs?

PDF downloads of instructions on how to perform simple repairs / maintenance.
    (*Video tutorials will also be posted on You Tube)

PDF downloads of complete camera specs.

An enhanced checkout process with a secure web site (*HTTPS).

A full e-commerce store where you'll be able to purchase parts, accessories and whole cameras online without going through eBay.

Two Requests:
    1. Realize that it is going to take quite some time to get this full web site up and running. Remember that we are sorting through the remnants of a company that began over 80 years ago... In the meantime, call or email if you have any questions. We can send PDF's directly to you via email until they're posted on the web.

2. If there are other things that you'd like to see on our web site, or improvements that you'd like to make, please let us know.

Thanks,

Barry & Monica
    LF Deardorff & Sons, Inc.
    423-478-6493 main#
    info@deardorffcameras.com
    www.deardorffcameras.com

Are these for sale yet? Anyone buy one and use it? How is it?