Thread: Newly interested in Antique Photography

Newly interested in Antique Photography

Hello from Oregon.

I have been interested in Tin Type photography for a while, though I haven't spent much time looking into it until recently. Many of my search queries have directed me to large format photography websites.
    Am I on the right track? Where is the best place to get started?
    I am also interested in possibly building my own camera. How feasible is that?

I hope this is the right place to find out more about this method of photography and if so, I look forward to learning from all of you.

Thanks

Re: Newly interested in Antique Photography

I ordered my chemicals as a kit at first from Bostick and Sullivan, and used a Kodak box camera. This got some suprisingly good results. I now purchase my individual chemicals from Artcraft in NY. The best information is from John Coffer (johncoffer.com). You can buy the manual, with DVDs for about $70. Its hand written, but has more information than any other book or website, and I reference it constantly. I took the workshop with John last year, and learned a lot, well worth it. I now use mostly a 4x5 view camera with a modified plate holder made from a film holder, and an 8x10 Ansco Universal Field camera (not really as portable as it sounds) with a 5x7 opening cut into an 8x10 holder. The key is to practice with it, and the smaller plates save a lot of money on chemicals.

Check "collodion.com", run by Quinn Jacobson, and the Civil War Reenactors forum at http://www.cwreenactors.com/collodion/

Most folks use trophy aluminum, that is anodized black on one side, making real tintypes is very messing and time consuming (my last batch is from a few weeks ago, and my hands still look like a diesel mechanics). Use can also use clear or stained glass.

There are several camera makers, and they are members of the above forums, Ray Morgenwek, and Ty Guillory make some nice cameras (sorry if I left anyone out).

Look on youtube for Rob Kendrick for some nice tintype examples.

Good luck; its a smelly, dangerous process, and stains everything.

Wayne

As you have no doubt gathered from Wayne's post, there are a number of "alternitve process" users arround here. Search that "-" heading and you will, no doubt, find numerous threads that will provide valuable information. Welcome to group therapy!

Here and collodion.com
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Thanks for the tips,
    I will be sure and check them out