Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USA to UK electrical converter

USA to UK electrical converter

I am going to England in August. I need to get a converter to recharge my Kindle, P&S camera batteries, etc.

What do I need?

Re: USA to UK electrical converter

One of these

http://appparel.web.fc2.com/B000PQL7AQ.html

This adapter doesn't alter voltage though. That should not be a problem for camera/laptop/phone batteries etc where the recharging unit is usually good for 110 or 240 voltage.

However, if you're taking any other larger appliances (unlikely) - maybe a guitar amplifier or a coffee machine! you'll need to get a step-up voltage transformer.

http://www.threedoubleyou.com/convertpower.htm

Where will you be in England. Taking your camera?

Thanks. That answers my unexpressed question: can I get just a plug adapter or do I need a voltage transformer as well. Sounds like I could just get the cheap plug converter?

We will be in and out of London, go to Oxford, visit a castle, and stay near the lake district. It is mostly a family trip, not a photo trip. But I will be "sneaking" my 8x10 outfit along!

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Thanks. That answers my unexpressed question: can I get just a plug adapter or do I need a voltage transformer as well. Sounds like I could just get the cheap plug converter?

We will be in and out of London, go to Oxford, visit a castle, and stay near the lake district. It is mostly a family trip, not a photo trip. But I will be "sneaking" my 8x10 outfit along!
    Sounds like a great trip. As a Tab man myself I'd encourage you to visit Cambridge over Oxford ;-) Far, far prettier and only 45 minutes from Central London by train from Kings Cross. A walk along the 'Backs' presents you with some of the finest scenery in all of England imho. Wren's library at Trinity College, King's College Chapel and the gardens at Clare. An even better way to see the backs is by punt - though that might present stability issues for an 8x10 shooter!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Backs

I first discovered photography during my first year at Cambridge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbk21/4...57623068891708

Don't use those basic little ones. Go straight to a Maplins or Currys store in the UK and buy a proper voltage converter, or it will be an expensive trip when you have to replace all your toys.

I live about an hour from Oxford so if you're around for long enough (and I have a day off) we can meet for a drink. Or if it's when I have time off then we could meet in London.

Riverman,

Thanks for the tips. My wife is the planner for this trip so I am along for the ride. Apparently you can stay in the dormitories at Oxford so we will be doing that.

I usually do a lot of planning but I am taking a paradoxical approach to this trip and just showing up with my camera to see what I can find. My biggest worry is taking enough film! Anticipate blowing through a significant pile of TMY2 8x10.

Ash,

Looks like we will be in Oxford August 9-10.

Look at the input on your chargers. Are they dual voltage or 100-120V only? If dual voltage then you only need plug adapters. If not you need a converter. Or you can get a universal charger like the Ansmann that will charge any 3.6 to 7.2V LiOn battery as well as AA and AAA NiCad and NiMh cells on any voltage including 12V car outlets.

Bob has it right.

First, the voltage in England is 240 volts AC, 50 Hz. The voltage in the U.S. is 120 volts AC, 60 Hz. Anything that uses AC directly, which includes plug-in clocks and motor-driven appliances, will not work at all. Not only will the voltage be wrong, but the frequency will also be wrong. A power drill with a voltage converter might work, but it will not work efficiently at 50 Hz.

But most of the stuff we use runs on DC, not AC, and the power bricks that come with those items convert AC to DC. For them, the frequency is not nearly as important. This includes anything that uses a power brick or a wall transformer.

To see if those will work with a simple plug adapter, look at their labels. Most computer power bricks are designed for international use, and have labels that will say "Input: 100-240 V, (some number of milliamps), 50-60Hz" (I just read this from my Dell laptop's power brick.) Anything that says "100-240V" and "50-60 Hz" in the input description will work fine with a simple plug adapter. These are transistor-controlled switching power supplies that are not sensitive to input AC voltage in producing the required DC output voltage. Another example is the battery charger that came with my Leica D-Lux digicam. It says, "Input: 110V-240V ~ 50/60Hz..." This will work with a simple plug adapter.

But I also have a wall transformer for a hand-held radio here at my desk, and that one reads "120V 60Hz" in the input section of the label. This does not include 240V and 50Hz, and it will NOT work without a voltage transformer at least.

Fortunately, most electronic devices are designed for international use and will cover the required voltage range.

You can also get plug-in transformers, but be careful of their power ratings. They will not run high-power appliances, including ANYTHING with a heating element. They are only good for small electronic items. I have several and they all work fine for that purpose.

Leave the hair dryer at home. Buy one when you get there if you must have one and your hotel doesn't provide one. Likewise an electric shaver, though most of those are DC now and will work (read the label).

Note that electrical outlets in England have changed standards in the last few years. Nearly all recent ones conform to the current standard, which is a three-prong plug with a wide stance in comparison to U.S. plugs. In outlets designed for that standard, you often must have the third prong or the plug will not allow you to make the connection. The travel plug-in transformers often only have phase and neutral with no safety ground, and will provide a plastic prong for the third opening on the outlet. These can only be used for small items that are double-insulated and do not need a safety ground. England also has older outlets without the third prong, but with the wide stance, and I seem to recall an even older design that is a different shape altogether.

I have traveled in some countries that provided 110V outlets for American travelers using a standard US-style two-prong outlet. Use only if labeled clearly enough that you have no doubts. I don't recall seeing these in England last time I was there, but I have seen them in parts of the world that did use English electrical standards for some things (and that cater to British ex-pats), such as Dubai.

Rick "who has never seen a computer power brick that did not accept up to 240VAC input" Denney

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post

Note that electrical outlets in England have changed standards in the last few years. Nearly all recent ones conform to the current standard, which is a three-prong plug with a wide stance in comparison to U.S. plugs. In outlets designed for that standard, you often must have the third prong or the plug will not allow you to make the connection. The travel plug-in transformers often only have phase and neutral with no safety ground, and will provide a plastic prong for the third opening on the outlet. These can only be used for small items that are double-insulated and do not need a safety ground. England also has older outlets without the third prong, but with the wide stance, and I seem to recall an even older design that is a different shape altogether.
    The three prong plug has been standard in the UK since 1947

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_1363

There has definitely NOT been a change in standard recently.