Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Was Tired All Day Yesterday.....

I Was Tired All Day Yesterday.....

I got frustrated and totally gave up on photography for nearly seven years. I had pretty good luck selling my 35mm work and decided to move up to 4x5. I really enjoyed the challenge but had become frustrated with the few publishers I was dealing with. They would be working on a project and want a certain picture sent instantly to meet tomorrow's deadline. I guess they thought I sat at home constantly waiting for them to call. I found it was impossible to come home from work, get the material they wanted and get it to Fed Ex on time. I finally quit photography completly. The money wasn't enough to justify the hassle. This Sept. I decided to drag out my cameras and shoot up some outdated film I had in the fridge, just to use it up. Damn it, I got hooked again. I'm taking a different approach this time. I'm doing photography strictly for my enjoyment, No more deciding not to make a picture of something just because it probably won't sell. I don't care! I do strictly color transpariencies and just send the film out for processing. I'd love to do black and white, but I don't have a darkroom or the time. I am near retirement and will get there sooner if I keep my photography expenses down. Maybe then I can do more with my photos. For now I plan on keeping it simple so I can simply enjoy it.

Wow, did you ever hit a nerve! I have 7 pieces of film to develop and I haven't made the time since last week to do it. That's probably because I recently decided to take up the fiddle. It's an instant means of self-expression, unlike photography. So now I'll fiddle while prints are in the wash. Then there's whitewater kayaking, fishing, duck hunting, woodworking, writing, etc. Maybe one day I'll grow up and decide what I want to do, but right now it seems I want to do it all, and as a result I haven't achieved a mastery in any particular area. If I could find a modestly profitable work-at-home scenario, I'd grab it in a heartbeat, but I'd probably lose money because of competing interests. I find that I go through seasons with photography. Since I live in a semi-tropical climate I don't lug my 8x10 around during summer months. But this fall I didn't get the urge for photography until a vacation. I'll rejuvenate my passion in a week or 2 when making prints for Christmas gifts. I couldn't imagine focusing just on photography, although I went through that phase in my college days when I always carried a camera and spent ridiculous amounts of time in a darkroom at the expense of my education and other things of major importance.

To add to my earlier post, yes there are the other interests to get in the way too. Playing guitar, making guitars,exploring the net. I don't remember who it was, but a very rich man advised to restrict yourself to only one hobby. Making money apparently was his hobby? I'd love to be rich simply because it would buy the freedom to do what I want to do. What's the sense of trying to be the richest person in the cemetary if you didn't enjoy life on the way?

Jim,

Wow! Two things in one week, first the "Magic Bullet Club" and now I get to join the "Who has any time Society". :>) Boy do I feel a lot better and like I really belong here. Just like yourself I am a husband, provider, parent (2 teen children..sports, concerts, school activities) and lastly over busy employee trying to find some personal time. I have my own story but most of it has been already mentioned in this thread. So as I have always believed "Never mention a problem unless you are ready to suggest a solution" Here goes... Perhaps some of us hobby types could keep in contact and set up a monthly goal in regards to shooting and printing. I realize that this will not solve the time problem but it may help us to focus that precious time while learning a bit from each other and enjoying some "photo pals". Maybe somebody like a "Doug Paramore" who is actively instructing classes might rise to the challenge of bringing us together via the net and share our interests and sucesses. Just a thought...

Regards

Like most people I've struggled to balance photography with a normal life- job, wife, kid(s= more on the way), and many other time consuming isolationist hobbies (playing/practicing Tabla, audiophile madness-building speaker, amps, etc). Often wished for more time, but I'm happy to have the opportunity to struggle with this issue, since it has forced me to really focus on what is most important to me, my life, and what my involvement can contribute to the art overall. And since I only do this as a hobby, to consider what types of images only I can/should make, ie,what is my duty to photography anyway, except for just being crazy about it, etc.

Indulging in the photographic process is fun, but I was not getting results. Either family or photography took a serious hit. Application of classic wisdom was my only solution: be simple (less equipment, less distractions), be efficient (one film, dev, reduce darkroom setup time - get a Nova processor), eliminate variables, be focused, and just do it. Everyone knows this, but it just took time for me to realize it is the only way.

Vishal, The last two years I have been playing tabla also...music is a beautiful compliment to photography and meditation! Been studying with a college senior who learned in India but he is leaving in 2002. Do you know of any tabla teachers in CT? Have a good holiday! Regards,