Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guidance for the 8x10 Buyer...

Guidance for the 8x10 Buyer...

This forum has been treasure of help in the past. I wonder if anyone can give me some food for thought in my search for a new camera. I know there are endless posts about this question but askers usually are to vague. I'll try to be more specific.

I own a Toyo 8x10 monorail and it's very bulky. I'm looking for a more portable camera to take into the field but heavy enough that it's not going to blow over or shake when I release the shutter. Although I'm not familiar with field cameras I think they're my best option. I would like a camera that has the widest range of movements, plus I'm interested in doing close up work so I also need something that has long bellows capability. (I'm not a technical wiz so focal length to bellows extension confuses me).

Deardorff view cameras seem to be tried and true but I'm not sure how long the bellows can extend. I know that 32'' bellows are standard and they're able to extend about 28" if using the movements. Also Deardorff doesn't have back movements. Is that typical for field cameras?

Does anyone have some advice for me. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Joseph

Re: Guidance for the 8x10 Buyer...

If you are looking for a clam-shell type, you would do well to take a look at the Kodak Master. Made in the 1950's and still a wonderful folding metal unit with extremely long bellows, full range of movements, fairly light weight and easy portability. Many of us here use them and comments are almost universally in favor. In fact, they are popular enough that a few people still manufacture lens boards.

Also available are 5x7 and 4x5 reducing backs.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by J.Davie-S. View Post
    ...Deardorff doesn't have back movements.
    Not true. The Deardorff V8 (the 8x10 field camera) has rear tilt and swing as well as rear focus.

The Deardorff V8 has rear tilt and swing. Front rise/fall, tilt and swing. The bellows are 30"
    Early V8s have no front swings, as well as no serial number.

I'll second the KMV. I'd love to have one.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Thanks for clarifying about the Deardorff's rear movements. I'll look into the KMV's specs. Not sure how readily available for purchase they are.

J-

Take a look at the Wehman camera - it is very sturdy, packs up into a neat package and is very, very durable. Just take a look on Wehman's website for specs.
    Juergen

Quote Originally Posted by J.Davie-S. View Post
    Thanks for clarifying about the Deardorff's rear movements. I'll look into the KMV's specs. Not sure how readily available for purchase they are.

J-
    They're fairly common; they show up here from time to time. The Calumet C-1 is nice, too.

Also, the Deardorff has "double" front rise. There is a rising/falling panel on the front standard, in addition to the front standard rise. Handy when you already have the front tilt set where you want it or need a bit extra.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    They're fairly common; they show up here from time to time. The Calumet C-1 is nice, too.

Also, the Deardorff has "double" front rise. There is a rising/falling panel on the front standard, in addition to the front standard rise. Handy when you already have the front tilt set where you want it or need a bit extra.
    The KMV does as well(double front-rise). The little screw mechanism on the top of the front standard allows another 1-1.5" of rise, and aboud 3/4" of fall once tilt is set. I just traded my KMV for a Hasselblad setup, since I'm now the proud owner of Calumet C1. Owning both cameras simultaneously was a very good experience, and allowed me to finalize a decision to stick with the C1. For ME, I loved the plain rock-solid stabilty of the C1 vs the KMV, especially with longer, heavier lenses, or with longer extensions with close-ups.

Both the C1 and the KMV are terrific cameras IMO, however, two totally different designs. The KMV is much faster to set up, however, the C1 won me over, simply for its "solid as a rock once set" design, vs the KMV's design. Having a 3/8-16 screw to attach the camera with also helped assuage any doubts of further instability vs a 1/4-20 screw.

-Dan

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I have a KMV, and it's a wonderful camera. It's two drawbacks: if you have a very heavy and long lens, like a big Petzval, it will torque on the front enough that you have to watch for it inducing front tilt. (Same with the Deardorff.) And the KMV has those weird lensboards. If you have a lot of lenses, you should either find a way to make your own, (others have, and you can do a search here for help), or convert it to a standard 6x6 lensboard. The conversion isn't terribly difficult if you're fairly handy at woodwork.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Juergen Sattler View Post
    Take a look at the Wehman camera - it is very sturdy, packs up into a neat package and is very, very durable. Just take a look on Wehman's website for specs.
    I really like my Wehman, but it seems like within the last month or so, he's got this notice at the top of his page:

"The Wehman Field Camera is no longer in production. Warranty, repairs, and accessories will continue to be supported."