Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyrocat-HD and tray development

Pyrocat-HD and tray development

I have some bad experiences with Neopan Acros and Pyrocat-HD tray development. The Pyrocat-HD seemed to made emulsion really soft and fragile.

Now I am going to try Pyrocat-HD again, this time with TMX and TMY 4x5 sheets.

Anyone had bad experiences with this combination?

The temperature will be bit high, around 75-78 deg Fahrenheit (24 - 26 deg Celcius) because of hot aparthment.
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr

Death Before Digital matthew klos's Avatar

Re: Pyrocat-HD and tray development

Never tried that combination, i only use ilford film but it never has given me that problem. And i always develop at 75, not really a high temp for Pyro.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Sandy works with that film/developer combination. I suspect the temperature of the water and room is a lot higher than 80 or something is wrong with the developer/procedure. Search the forum for "two bath" and take a look at pyrocat-hd.com for ideas. Also, Sandy is very helpful and nobody knows pyrocat-hd better than him

I tray process 5x7 TriX, TMY, and FP4 in Pyrocat HD at 20-22C and have never had the problem you are describing. Perhaps the emulsion softening is due to the higher temps you are dealing with?...

Perhaps it's really only the Acros 100 which seems to have problem.
    I have processed it at 20C and 24C with a really bad scratch and marks.

The interesting part is that when I did calibration run for Acros 100, the negatives were fine. But when developing real pictures, everything was badly ruined.
    Perhaps developing with emulsion side upward is the thing that gives better opportunity for scratch and other marks from the stack of negatives?

Haven't really study the causes after that. Simply went to D-76 which works flawless. But as I have to deal with a much warmer developing environment, D-76 is not a very good option as the developing times tend to be too short.

Here's the sample (quarter of a negative):
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr

Pyro developers harden, not soften, emulsions. Those marks look like flow marks rather than scratches and they could be caused by films attempting to stick together in the stack. Do you pre-soak each sheet prior to placing the next one in the developer?

I'd look at how you're tray processing, are you allowing sheets to move freely over each other ?

When I've used Acros in Pyrocat I've had perfect negatives, no issues, but I don't allow negatives to come into contact when I tray process and I use softer emulsions than Acros.

Some emulsions are softer than others TMY and Neopan 400 can reticulate slightly if temperatures aren't kept tight, this micro reticulation affects the surface causing more apparent graininess on printing or scanning.

The pH of some developers and higher Hydroxide or Carbonate levels will soften film more, so Rodinal is often blamed for grain when in fact it's just micro/surface reticulation, and this surface will mark easily.

Pyrocat uses Carbonate and while it's a tanning developer the negatives will be more prone to scratching if shuffling negatives in a dish during the early stages, or letting them float freely.

Ian

I use traditional stack shuffling, where negatives may be in contact with each other. There is a thin layer of developer (I suppose) as the negatives won't stick to each other.

This has happen so far only with Acros 100 and I found one mention of similar issue but I cannot really be sure whether it's Acros and Pyrocat or some other reason.

TMX, TMY, FP4+, HP5+ and Fomapan 100 works flawless (or survives from my processing). The Efke films do not

When using stack method, how do you prevent negatives from touching each other?

One thing could be two tray method, but I haven't tried it as I feel that when I move the negative from tray 'A' to tray 'B', they will move freely around tray 'B' and the order of negatives may change.

ps. I presoak
    Last edited by jvuokko; 25-Jun-2011 at 09:22. Reason: forgot to mention presoak
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jvuokko View Post
    I use traditional stack shuffling, where negatives may be in contact with each other. There is a thin layer of developer (I suppose) as the negatives won't stick to each other.
    I quit using that kind of shuffle/stack development more than two decades ago because of scratches and uneven development. That was before I use Pyro at all. Some people make this method work, but it was not in the cards for me so I moved on and now develop sheet film separated, as in tubes and/or trays with partitions that separate the film.

Now, with Pyrocat-HD the working solution is at about pH 10.9, so this allows the gelatin to expand a lot, which can contribute to scratches with tray development where the negatives are rubbing against one another.

Pyrocat-HD and Fuji Acros is my favorite combination for medium format film. I develop on reels with either minimal or two-bath development.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thanks, it seems that slosher like solution is the way to go.

I have to say that I used Acros and Efke PL100 with Pyrocat-HD as my main film couple of years, developing with Paterson orbital. Until my orbital's motorized base went bad.
    That was the time of easy and flawless development.
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr