Thread: Clarification needed re "Odorless" Fixer vs Standard Sodium Thiosulfate Fixers

Clarification needed re "Odorless" Fixer vs Standard Sodium Thiosulfate Fixers

Hello,

I'm looking for a less smelly and sick-making (nausea) fixer than ammonium thiosulfate (aka rapid fixer), and in looking at the available odorless options, I realized they're basically old hypo/sodium thiosulfate formulas ( e.g. Arista's). Are these fixers basically the same as Kodak's old powder fixer (e.g. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/197174...ake-1-Gallon)? Here are their ingredients:

Kodak:

Weight percent

70 - 75
    Sodium thiosulphate
    10 - 15
    Ammonium alum, dodecahydrate
    5 - 10
    Sodium metabisulphite
    1 - 5
    Boric anhydride

Arista:

SODIUM THIOSULFATE 70-80
    SODIUM METABISULFITE 5-10
    SODIUM ACETATE

Other than the hardener in Kodak, it's the same fixer, right? Or is the Arista really less smelly and fumy? I'm asking because I can get the Kodak locally but the arista and others like it have to be shipped and are thus much more expensive. Also, would just using Sodium thiosulfate w Sodium Bisulfite a la Michael and Paula be more or less smelly than the above options? Thanks for your help,

Gabriel

Re: Clarification needed re "Odorless" Fixer vs Standard Sodium Thiosulfate Fixers

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking for a less smelly and sick-making (nausea) fixer than ammonium thiosulfate (aka rapid fixer), and in looking at the available odorless options, I realized they're basically old hypo/sodium thiosulfate formulas ( e.g. Arista's). Are these fixers basically the same as Kodak's old powder fixer (e.g. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/197174...ake-1-Gallon)? Here are their ingredients:

Kodak:

Weight percent

70 - 75
    Sodium thiosulphate
    10 - 15
    Ammonium alum, dodecahydrate
    5 - 10
    Sodium metabisulphite
    1 - 5
    Boric anhydride

Arista:

SODIUM THIOSULFATE 70-80
    SODIUM METABISULFITE 5-10
    SODIUM ACETATE

Other than the hardener in Kodak, it's the same fixer, right? Or is the Arista really less smelly and fumy? I'm asking because I can get the Kodak locally but the arista and others like it have to be shipped and are thus much more expensive. Also, would just using Sodium thiosulfate w Sodium Bisulfite a la Michael and Paula be more or less smelly than the above options? Thanks for your help,

Gabriel

Answered on APUG.

Ian