Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scitex Eversmart Pro II Software + Computer

Re: Scitex Eversmart Pro II Software + Computer

Quote Originally Posted by Evanjoe610 View Post
    Keith,

I also heard that some information from other folks too. That means I have to get an upgrade path to a newer software version that would allow me to run on Intel-Based scanner.

I guess that means you are running on an Intel based Mac Pro on Leopard (OS10.5.8) using the Ratoc FRS1X with scanning software oXYgen 2.6.3.

Evan
    Evan,

No, I'm running oXYgen 2.6.3 on a G4 (last version of the MDD) with Leopard (10.5.8). The scanner is connected via FireWire using a 2nd Wave SCSI-FireWire converter which is similar to the Ratoc. I installed Leopard and oXYgen 2.6.3 on a separate internal drive, so that if I encountered problems I could easily revert to my previous setup of Panther and oXYgen 2.3.5. So far it is working well.

Based on the release notes, oXYgen 2.6.3 should work on G5 and Mac Pro (Intel) systems too, and on Tiger (10.4.x) as well as Leopard. I don't have an Intel-based Mac other than my MBP running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) which I use for everything but image-work, but I do have a G5 running Leopard (10.5.8) which is my main PS and printing workstation. I suppose I could test this version of oXYgen on that machine just to see what happens. My understanding, however, is that it is best to run the scanner on a dedicated computer to avoid software conflicts. That advice may be overly conservative unless you are running 2 or more apps, e.g. oXYgen and PS, simultaneously. I may test this hypothesis when I have some time.

~ Keith

Keith,

Cool. Thanks for your setup information.

Funny thing, I have Version 2.6.3, BUT was not sure if my Eversmart Pro II would recognize it.
    I'm currently running my Eversmart Pro II (original Firewire box is not working)
    on a G4 MMD with 2 GB of RAM under OS10.4.11 Tiger. I also have PowerPC G5 Quad Core plus a MacPro. Using a Ratoc FRS1X Firewire adapter with my UltraSCSI cable. I have not had a problem iwth Creo 2.5.5 software.

Now that you have confirm it would on Version2.6.3, I will migrate over to my Mac Pro and attempt to run it there.

Thanks for your input.

Evan

Quote Originally Posted by keith schreiber View Post
    Evan,

No, I'm running oXYgen 2.6.3 on a G4 (last version of the MDD) with Leopard (10.5.8). The scanner is connected via FireWire using a 2nd Wave SCSI-FireWire converter which is similar to the Ratoc. I installed Leopard and oXYgen 2.6.3 on a separate internal drive, so that if I encountered problems I could easily revert to my previous setup of Panther and oXYgen 2.3.5. So far it is working well.

Based on the release notes, oXYgen 2.6.3 should work on G5 and Mac Pro (Intel) systems too, and on Tiger (10.4.x) as well as Leopard. I don't have an Intel-based Mac other than my MBP running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) which I use for everything but image-work, but I do have a G5 running Leopard (10.5.8) which is my main PS and printing workstation. I suppose I could test this version of oXYgen on that machine just to see what happens. My understanding, however, is that it is best to run the scanner on a dedicated computer to avoid software conflicts. That advice may be overly conservative unless you are running 2 or more apps, e.g. oXYgen and PS, simultaneously. I may test this hypothesis when I have some time.

~ Keith

Back from work, the software finally arrive so I tried the first time to run the scanner.

Specs: Eversmart Pro II + Ratoc FW->SCSI + OXYgen 2.3.5 + G5 Tiger

Still no calibration slide.

Scanner boots up, green LED on, lights on.

Software starts and says: "scanner connected not a creo brand name"

I used the SCSI-connector on the right-hand side (left-hand side is the terminator) and switched "Terminator on". Special SCSI-ID to select?

The manual I've found seems to focus on the OXYgen software?

The Yahoo-group is comprehensive, but finding useful information is a mess! (Wouldn't it make sense to gather high-end-scanner-users on a modern forum instead of keeping this outdated yahoo-group-concept alive?)

Please help!

Georgl,

Manuals should be on your software disc. If not email or PM me with your email and I'll be happy to send you what I have. There is quite a lot of documentation. The installation and maintenance manual is separate from the software manual and there are several other useful documents as well.

I have seen that same message ("scanner connected not a creo brand name") each time I have installed the software, and each time restarting the computer has solved the problem.

You won't be able to complete the installation without the calibration slide.

The full installation takes about an hour or more to complete.

~ Keith

There are many manuals for Eversmart scanners in the files section of the Yahoo forum. This includes both software and installation manuals.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of first-hand information about operating these scanners in ways for which they were not designed. It is important to remember that Eversmarts were originally made by Scitex, which became a part of Creo, in turn acquired by Kodak. Installation updates were not made available, for example, in the case of how to run an Eversmart Pro with Firewire and OS 10.6.6. The last official update for this scanner was the upgrade to Pro II statuts, which required a new logic board, a SCSI to Firewire adaptor and several software patches.

I am surprised that people spend so much time and energy trying to run vintage scanners with the latest computers and operating systems. There is no increase in scanning speed as this is determined by the logic board of the scannner, whichs tops out with about 500 mhz on a MAC G4. In my opinion the best solution by far is to pick up a cheap G4 and run the scanner with the system for which it was designed.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by keith schreiber View Post
    Georgl,

Manuals should be on your software disc. If not email or PM me with your email and I'll be happy to send you what I have. There is quite a lot of documentation. The installation and maintenance manual is separate from the software manual and there are several other useful documents as well.

I have seen that same message ("scanner connected not a creo brand name") each time I have installed the software, and each time restarting the computer has solved the problem.

You won't be able to complete the installation without the calibration slide.

The full installation takes about an hour or more to complete.

~ Keith
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

According to Kodak the following should work: Eversmart Pro II + FW->SCSI + OXYgen 2.3.5 + G5+ Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger) .

Send me a PM once you have the Calibration Slide

SergeyT.

One of the advantages of the newer MACs and OSX is that one can quickly transfer scans from the scanner controller to editing computer over TCP. The other is that one can even run a PS on the same machine...

SergeyT.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    One of the advantages of the newer MACs and OSX is that one can quickly transfer scans from the scanner controller to editing computer over TCP. The other is that one can even run a PS on the same machine...

SergeyT.
    Sure, but the other side of the coin is that scanning is a very time intensive activity and having a computer dedicated to it is a great convenience so you don't have to tie up time on your main editing computer. And there is very little advantage in running an Eversmart Pro II in OS10.4 compared to OS9.2.2. OS 10.4 is more stable, but not necessarily so when you add the SCSI to Firewire connection for a device for which it was not originally configured. I have a dual-boot MAC G4 (OS 10.4.4 and OS 9.2.2) MAC G4 and I can not find one good reason to scan in 10.4 compared to 9.2.2.

And if immediate file transfer is a major issue one can do that via Ethernet connectivity between the two machines.

Just my opinion. People will do what they want to do but it just seems to me that folks spend a lot more time than necessary trying to run vintage scanners with the latest computers and operating systems when they could save a lot of time and money just picking up an older computer and operating system.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    According to Kodak the following should work: Eversmart Pro II + FW->SCSI + OXYgen 2.3.5 + G5+ Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger) .

Send me a PM once you have the Calibration Slide

SergeyT.
    And I have a G5 mac pro Tiger I'm selling.....

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I have a dual-boot MAC G4 (OS 10.4.4 and OS 9.2.2) MAC G4 and I can not find one good reason to scan in 10.4 compared to 9.2.2.
    Sandy,

I have the same setup: OS 9.2.2 and OSX 10.3.9 actually. But I use 9.2.2 for the scanner diagnostics only, which are not available under OSX. The rest is done under OSX. It allows me to scan with the newer oXYgen, which I find being more gentle on the scanner and I can transfer my scans to my Windows PC over TCP where all editing is done.
    To be able to transfer my files from OS9 to Windows over TCP I would have to buy an extra software. To the best of my knowledge there is no native support of TCP in OS9.

SergeyT.