Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 for a beginner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

8x10 for a beginner

Hi, I am new to large format photography. I would love to get myself an 8x10" camera. I can not afford a new camera, so I am considering my options in used market. As I also love collecting photography gear I have looked at the old plate cameras. I understand they are very difficult to adapt to the modern film sizes. I have an idea and would like to know if it would work.
    I buy a good whole plate camera and carefully take off the rear board. Get an 8x10 film holder and make a new wooden rear board that could be installed instead of the original. I would also need to get new bellows, I guess. If and when I want to change my camera, I can always return it to its original state.
    Has anyone done it? would it be easier and cheaper than just building the 8x10 from scratch (I doubt I could build the whole thing)? It would be used mainly for portraits and occasional landscape.
    Regards
    Ed

Re: 8x10 for a beginner

Ed, Consider the Kodak 2D 8X10. A very forgiving and stable old camera that has enough room to install a 6 1/2" square Packard shutter inside the camera. The 6X6" lens boards are ample for just about any old dinosaur of a lens you can drag home, and the Packard is inside waiting. 30" bellows lends itself to portraiture with old fast glass. About 80% of the images on my web pages are made with one of these.

Or, you might like an 8x10 Ansco.
    They were designed with a built-in sliding extending rail, it adds a little weight, but it can't get lost.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

I gotta say I love my Calumet C1 and I didn't find it expensive. Fits in my backpack too!
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

It seems that I have been a little bit impatient and there are a few old cameras that take 8x10 holders! I have been following ebay sales for a week nearly. So far almost no 8x10 in UK, but lots of old British cameras. I will pay closer attention to the Kodak, Ansco and Calumet C1 - they are on my search list. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!
    It's likely better to test the waters with 4x5 instead of 8x10, much less investment, and more readily available.
    While learning the basics, each sheet of film will cost about 25% of 8x10, so you can shoot more!

Do some research, patience will be rewarded.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    It's likely better to test the waters with 4x5 instead of 8x10, much less investment, and more readily available.
    While learning the basics, each sheet of film will cost about 25% of 8x10, so you can shoot more!

Do some research, patience will be rewarded.
    I was thinking the same thing...4x5 is a lot easier to manage from a logistical standpoint.

Claudio Santambrogio

You might also want to check out the For Sale section on this board - but you'll have to wait 30 days before getting access… With proper patience, there are many options for you on the web

I don't know that I have ever seen one, but if whole plate cameras are common and inexpensive in your corner of the world, then why not use whole plate film and film holders? Whole plate has vocal adherents who make good arguments for it. B&W film is available in whole plate (if not readily so) and is cheaper than 8x10.

Do you think you will develop your own? shoot B&W or color? enlarge, scan or contact print? A B&W contact print from a whole plate negative can be a pretty satisfying accomplishment. Enlarging one is likely to require an 8x10 enlarger though.

Might as well go with 810. Most find themselves there after 45 anyway.

Whole plate film is a pain to get compared to 810. Stick with 810. IMO
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery