Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on light meter for outdoor and indoor use.

Opinions on light meter for outdoor and indoor use.

Hello to everyone,
    My name is Przemek. I'm new to this forum and this being my first post.
    I'm using medium format film camera for now but I've been thinking for some time to try large format as I'm very tempted by its image qualities as well as by slow image making process itself.

Right now I'd like to ask You for opinion on light meter. I've been using for several years Gossen Digipro F but often find my self missing spot metering, especially while shooting outdoor. Because I often need to carry all of my equipment on my back I'd prefer to have only one meter that do both incident and spot. I've been thinking on two meters: Gossen Starlite 2 and Sekonic L-758 D. I was unable to find any in deep comparison or review of this two meters just some posts here and there. I think these two meters are overkill for me with all functions, modes, advanced flash metering, etc. But I don't know any simple light meter that will both incident and 1 spot.

From usability point of view I'd prefer to stick with Gossen because I've been using Gossen for several years now and I suppose the interface should be some how similar. Starlite 2 is also smaller and lighter then Sekonic.

Because I've no experience with any of this two meters and I've never used any other 1 spot meter I'd appreciate very much Your opinions and suggestions.

Thank You.

Re: Opinions on light meter for outdoor and indoor use.

Przemek,
    If you're already familiar with the equipment you have, and know how to use it well, why not keep using it?
    A light meter is a light meter, whether you're using MF or LF; it's all about the photographer's ability to use it properly, and interpret the given readings to suit his tastes.
    I'll let the gearheads give you several light meter suggestions; I've been using the same Minolta IVf for 15 years, so I have no clue what's out there.
    Good luck!

I use the Sekonic L-758DR. I use it mostly for spot metering. It has more bells and whistles than I actually use, but it is a great meter. Characteristic curves of the films you use can be programed into the thing (something I have not spent any time learning to do), and a good flash meter. I don't know anything about the Gossen.

Sekonic L-558, has both incident and 1° spot functions.

A whole lot cheaper than the L-758D meters, and does the same job.

- Leigh

Ari, I agree with You and the only reason I'm thinking about changing light meter is because sometimes I miss spot metering.

Stephen thank You for Your opinion.

Leigh I will look at this model right now. It would be nice to find older model of a meter that will do both spot and incident metering for a lower price.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Lets see:
    35mm Nikons with built-in matrix meters, one can operate also has a spot meter mode. Putting a 28mm to 300mm on the other is effectively a spot meter. I use both meters inside and outside.

Hasselblad with a prism meter, if I need a spot meter I can use one of the Nikons. I use this meter inside and outside.

For 4"x5", I use a Gossen Lux SBC [from KEH ~$100US] which can be used as an incident or reflection meter. I use this meter inside and outside.

All the meters work well when used correctly [Example: Do not meter the sky]. If I need a spot meter I can use one of the Nikons.

I tend only us a spot meter if the SBR [Subject Brightness Range] is great, on the order of 10 to 14 f/stops.

All the black & white and color film shot at box speed. No problems at all.

Does that help?
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    If I need a spot meter I can use one of the Nikons.
    My L-558 weighs a lot less than your Nikon w/lens.

In addition, the L-558 provides accurate incident metering which your Nikon does not.

- Leigh

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    My L-558 weighs a lot less than your Nikon w/lens.

In addition, the L-558 provides accurate incident metering which your Nikon does not.

- Leigh
    Yes, but I do not need a spot meter often and the Nikons are in the car when I use the Hasselblads or the 4"x5". I do not make a habit of walking around carrying two formats at once.

Now I do have a friend with a wide angle Rolleiflex, a 75mm Rolleiflex, and a tele Rolleiflex. When he wears all three around his neck with a light meter, I tease him about having camera bling.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Przemek View Post
    It would be nice to find older model of a meter that will do both spot and incident metering for a lower price.
    The L-558 does both 1° spot and incident, either continuous or flash.

The only differences I see are that the L758D has...
    1) the word 'Digital' in the L-758D name
    2) a much higher price
    3) some specialized features that are likely not needed except for high-end pro studio work

The L-758D can talk to a computer and be programmed to match sensor/film characteristics.

All of the other features shown on the B&H product page are present in the L-558.

The radio transmitter for flash triggering (included with the L-758DR) is an extra-cost option with the L-558. Note that it only works with PocketWizard.

- Leigh

Thumbs up Re: Opinions on light meter for outdoor and indoor use.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Yes, but I do not need a spot meter often...
    It depends a lot on what and how you shoot.

I only shoot B&W in LF. The Hasselblad is color (digital) metered using the L-558. The Nikons are all digital relying on the internal metering.

I always carry my L-558 in the left breast pocket of my shooting jacket. I check ambient while I'm setting up, then do spots as needed for the scene.

To each his own.

- Leigh