Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Pan/Tilt Head Advantages?

Re: Sinar Pan/Tilt Head Advantages?

Foba stuff tends to be very high quality.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

The Foba isn't the same item but some of the heads are the same diameter as the Sinar, it depends on the head. I doubt they have the keystops that the Sinar head has.

funkadelic

After some recent gear sales and trades, I arrived at work to find one of these Sinar heads waiting for me in my cubicle.
    I've not had a chance to put it to use yet, but I'm really surprised by how small it is. I was expecting something about twice its size.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    After some recent gear sales and trades, I arrived at work to find one of these Sinar heads waiting for me in my cubicle.
    I've not had a chance to put it to use yet, but I'm really surprised by how small it is. I was expecting something about twice its size.

Hey Chris it can't be beat when using a Sinar. I don't use it with other cameras because of the lack of two way . But man it's nice with a Sinar.

funkadelic

I'll be taking the 5x7 P along for the ride when I go back to the Knoxville/Gatlinburg area in a couple of weeks.

Duane,

I am pretty sure I have an extra one at home that I can offer to you for a reasonable price.

I can send you some pics of it if you like.

Jesse

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jesskramer View Post
    Duane,

I am pretty sure I have an extra one at home that I can offer to you for a reasonable price.

I can send you some pics of it if you like.

Jesse
    Am also interested if it goes with an 8x10 sinar

andrew
    through a glass darkly...

funkadelic

Yes, they work with 8x10. I have 5x7 and 8x10 backs. I put the 8x10 on to put it under stress. No such luck. It didn't appear to be stressed. While smaller than I expected, it is very solid design and construction.
    I grabbed my digisnapper and took a few pics of mine last night. I'll post photos later today.

I have a Sinar tilt-head and also an Arca-Swiss Monoball (the first design that is between the B-1 and the B-1g in size). Looking at the structure, the Sinar head is easily several times stronger (and stiffer) than the ball-head. And that ball-head is not exactly accused of being flimsy.

Comparing it to a Bogen 3047 and a Manfrotto 229, both of which have been their biggest and strongest head at various times, the Sinar head is a stronger design. The lack of a lateral axis allows a very strong design without being bulky. Of course, the round Sinar rail in its rail clamp provides the lateral rotation. None of the three axes of movement are duplicated when that head is coupled to a Sinar camera, and the result is less bulky and heavy without any compromise at all in strength. Putting a Sinar on a three-axis head provides redundant movements on at least one axis, which can't help but add bulk and weight for the same strength and stiffness.

Rick "who admires efficient designs" Denney

Ditto, the legs will collapse before the head fails.

Another near-equivalent head is made by FOBA and it is not Sinar-specific, but similar quality, and it has movements in all 3-axis. However it is larger and heavier, and very expensive:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Pan_Tilt.html

I actually owned one for a short while, when I got it at a bargain price. It really requires a #5 Gitzo to be balanced and it would hold almost any 8x10 or ULF camera you could imagine. It feels like you could use it to adjust the Super-Collider or something on the forefront of human achievement....

Linhof also makes a pan-tilt: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Tilt_Head.html and I am sure it is wonderful. And their 3-axis head is nearly $2000.

For the money, the Sinar is the champ!