Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hinge And Tilt Angle

Hinge And Tilt Angle

To answer the original question, I doubt that there are manageable equations to deal with a simultaneous tilt and swing. The spatial geometry is quite complex and not easily described by the two angles. An acceptable approximation could be to use the tilt equation independently on both axis. In fact, working independently, and sequentially on both axis is what I have found the simplest with visual methods. Personnally I prefer visual methods based on the GG (as explaned in great detail on the LF page). With the use of a simple gizmo (a ruler) these methods are technically optimal rather than relying on guesses.

Hinge And Tilt Angle

The easiest way I've found to usetilt and swing, especially in a studio setting tho that doesn't really make a difference except of the pain of lugging a big camera outinto the world, is to use on e ofthe Sinar P series of ccameras; the P, P2, X , C or C2. thebuiltin tilt and swing angle finder aids really come into their own in this kind of situation. You can improvise an assymetric swing set up by shifting the rear (or front or both) standard(s) sideways by few cm. Focus on a point on that new axis and then swingthe opposite side ofthe standard till the next point you want to come into focus does. Now recheck the focus atthe first point to make sure it is still in focus, you might need to tweak the focus a little. With the Sinar P rear standard this isn't necessary. A yaw free base tilt, or an assymmetric tilt mechanism (like on the Sinar P, I don't know if there are others) makes combined tilt and swing movements much easier over tilt designs that are not yaw free. the basic design which makes a camera yaw free is to have the swing mechanism above the tilt mechanism, not all base tilt cameras are yaw free and by definition axis tilt cameras cannot be.

One thing i have found using swing and tilt cameras is that once you combine movements you often need to refocus the camera in the opposite direction than you might think to get the optimum placement for keeping your f-stop in the optimum range for best lens performance (generally I find this to be in the f/16 to f/22.5 range).