Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4x5 folding camera for architecture?

jadphoto

Re: 4x5 folding camera for architecture?

Another vote for the Shen Hao.

I adapted a Chamonix universal bellows and found that it works with even my 65mm.

However, while the Shen Hao is much easier to pack than a Sinar, it's only a pound or so less in weight.

Most of the weight of your kit will be lenses, film, and other "necessities". So it comes down to which is the more important factor, weight or bulk.

I also agree that the Toyo CF would be a non-starter for your needs. It's just too limited. You might read my article comparing the CF and Shen Hao. It's on the Toyo (Mamiya America) web site or can be found on the Shutterbug web site.

JD

Look at the Shen-Hao XPO. It is not a folder, but it takes no more space when packed because of the collapsing bed. But if you want a field camera and you normally work with a Sinar, the XPO is a no-brainer--it is compatible with Sinar bellows, lens boards, and other accessories.

Rick "whose F/F2 seems portable enough" Denney

In the same line as the OP - what would be the shortest lens the Shen Hao XPO could handle with bag bellows on flat lens board? 75mm on recessed lens board on Tachi is always a fight ...
    Matus

Another vote for the Technikardan. I have 45S that folded fits inside the large pocket of my photo vest or photo jacket. That along with a Grafmatic holder, my 90mm and 75mm, and tripod over my shoulder I go anywhere.
    Bill McMannis

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    In the same line as the OP - what would be the shortest lens the Shen Hao XPO could handle with bag bellows on flat lens board? 75mm on recessed lens board on Tachi is always a fight ...
    It was specifically designed to accommodate a 72mm Super Angulon XL using a flat board and the provided bellows (which seem to be similar to a standard Sinar bellows). While I have not handled one in person, I suspect that with the right bellows it will allow a much shorter lens, but perhaps not a 47. It will certainly support short enough lenses for 4x5 architecture work.

Here is a thread that discussed this camera in detail, including a number of photos (not all at the beginning of the thread, so look down through it).

Lachlan's presentation of the new XPO

Rick "whose (unfunded) wish list includes this camera" Denney