Thread: O. Winston link Tripods

O. Winston link Tripods

What model and type of tripods did O. Winston Link use for his N&W steam photography project? I seem to have read somewhere that he used Majestic brand tripods, but I am not really certain on this. Thanks for any input, folks.

Re: O. Winston link Tripods

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Morfit View Post
    What model and type of tripods did O. Winston Link use for his N&W steam photography project? I seem to have read somewhere that he used Majestic brand tripods, but I am not really certain on this. Thanks for any input, folks.
    There's an often reproduced photograph of O. Winston Link and George Thom (his assistant?) on the first page of my 2011 "Steam & Steel" calendar. It shows them with two tripods with cameras and a lot of large pieces of flash equipment. The tripods do not look like Majestics to me and the tripod heads really don't look like Majestic heads. Can't say that I recognize the tripod makes otherwise. They are metal, not wood. The cameras look like 4x5 Graphic Views (the ones with the triangular cross section monorails.)
    David

Some added information here after my memory got jogged. The tripod that Link is standing behind looks like it might be a Saltzman. This is after looking at the pictures from the Saltzman catalog on the cameraeccentric website. Don't know about the other one.
    David

Thanks, David. I was looking at the same photo in that calendar, and was not quite certain as to the type of tripods that Saint Winston had his cameras attached to.

I checked out EBay, and found one Saltzman. From comparing the photos in the listing with the tripod that Mr. Link was standing behind it does appear to be a Saltzman. Also, there is a photo of him setting up both of his Graphic Views at Bridge 8 in the O. Winston Link Museum collection that shows two totally different types of tripods. The catalog number for the photo is 2007.04.1566. The one tripod is wooden, could be one that Graflex manufactured, and the other was an all metal model. Those Saltzman tripods look like they are massive, and heavy pieces of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Morfit View Post
    I checked out EBay, and found one Saltzman. From comparing the photos in the listing with the tripod that Mr. Link was standing behind it does appear to be a Saltzman. Also, there is a photo of him setting up both of his Graphic Views at Bridge 8 in the O. Winston Link Museum collection that shows two totally different types of tripods. The catalog number for the photo is 2007.04.1566. The one tripod is wooden, could be one that Graflex manufactured, and the other was an all metal model. Those Saltzman tripods look like they are massive, and heavy pieces of equipment.
    Heavy and massive would be apropriate for shooting live steam locomotives. I grew up next to the tracks where an 0-6-0 switcher serviced a lumber yard, and when that locomotive passed the whole nieghborhood would shake! Thanks for jogging my memories!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Heavy and massive would be apropriate for shooting live steam locomotives.

I too shoot both steam and diesel trains at night, using massive flash. My Gitzo 1325cf does just fine. Remember that the flash duration is so brief that the camera would have to be shaking prety badly. Also remember that generally you set up at least 40 ft. off the rail.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

did somebody say 4x5....saltzman is way too big for 4x5---the base plate of the saltzman is bigger than any 4x5 camera I've ever seen---it's about the size of my 8x10 base. These are only good for big heavy cameras---even 8x10 is kind of small unless you're using LONG lens extensions.

you can seriously lift a car with one of these and change a tire--I'm not kidding--I have two of them (there IS a reason)

you want to see something truely massive--see a saltzman studio camera stand.

Then again..you want really big check out a deardorff bi-bost commercial camera stand--I got one of these too--lead weights---all cast heavy--you must experience moving one of these to appreciate them.