Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First meters: Old faithful or hi-tech whizz?

First meters: Old faithful or hi-tech whizz?

After a couple of goofs while metering for E6, I've finally decided to buy a dec ent meter and attempt to be a bit more methodical about determining exposure. So , I went shopping, initially for a spot meter, but... As a techie the Sekonic L- 508 seemed to have everything I'll ever need, including a manual to explain how it all works. In contrast the Pentax Spotmeter V taught me how to use it by itse lf in a few seconds; just so simple and intuitive. One of the reasons I got a 4x 5 was to move slghtly away from the computers and flashing lights, and the Penta x was like picking up an scientific instrument rather than a PDA - I liked that. So, now I'm in a quandary. Do I buy the Sekonic knowing that it'll probably do everything I ever ask of it, but also knowing that to get the most out of it wil l require hours of reading the manual, or do I buy the Pentax knowing that all I then need to learn is how to apply the meter readings to my photography? Anyone been through this dilemma?

I prefer the dinosaur approach. Well, maybe not that far back, but I prefer dedi cated spotmeters and dedicated incident-light meters to the all-in-one approach. FWIW that's my opinion although let me admit that I've never tried (other than playing with them in a store) the all-in-one meters.

The only tidbit I know is that one friend, who's a meticulous technician, trie d out one of those all-in-one meters that had a zoom spotmeter and found that it was (to him) unacceptably flarey. I suspect this was because it was a zoom (mor e elements) plus the front element of the lens was right at the front of the bar rel with no provision for a shade.

by now i'm using a Minolta autometer IV, i found impossible to use a "dinosaur" any more, minolta is a entire mesure system, you can attach different accessories to it, i t's very precise, and good for lowlight as well, the only danger is to loose little accessories while in the field ! This piece of equipment is cheaper in us and japan than in europe.

Gavin, All a meter does is measure light! But go with the ultra modern!! I use the L508, it is superb. But I only use a few of its functions, however the rest are always there should the need to use them arise! LF is all about control, meters are no different, YOU control them. Ultra modern marvels are simply more reliable/waterproofed/accurate than the earlier models. The manual that accompanies the L508 covers all eventualities, most of which you may never need. The meter is very simple to use and very accurate (also good for zonies). Regards Paul

I?ve owned an L-408, and found it accurate and simple to use. Many of the modes are related to strobe lighting and multiple measurements, so I just read the parts of the manual applicable to incident and spot metering and was away to the races in 10 minutes.

Gavin,

I use a saunders flash/light meter, model excapes me, weoks well with 4x5, and 8x10 that i 'm doing more on.

I've got a Pentax Digital spotmeter & like it. But after I bought the Pentax, I bought a Sekonic Selenium Cell incident meter (L398, I think). It doesn't use batteries so it's my fail-safe backup, but I use it regularly, too, for uncomplicated work.

Hard to beat a Pentax Digital Spot. So simple. Ansel Adams used one (f'crissake).... jeff buckels (albuquerque)

You probably already know that you're going to go with whichever one you're in love with

I personally would go with the L-508. More features are useful when it comes to light metering, in my opinion, since as you grow as a photographer, there are more and more situations that you never really thought you'd be in, and then, one day, you find yourself in them (flash exposure being one of them). Restricting yourself because of a simple UI will probably manifest itself as a problem. Using sekonic meters isn't really that hard.

Also, the L-508 is pretty much waterproof, which is a plus, since the last thing you want going down in the field is your meter!

I use a 4x5 because it's fun and challenging, simplicity is only a side effect.

In another note, my friend likes her camera equipment 'simple', but she still prefers to use a manual Nikon body with a digital meter. She says the waggling needle is really annoying

well, just my two cents.

I bought a used Pentax Digital Spotmeter and it's wonderfully simple and efficient for Zone System work. I also bought a used Sekonic 308BII and that, too, is wonderful for candids and when I'm playing with lights. However, I sometimes leave one or the other at home just when I need it so now I'm looking for a combination meter to replace my incident meter. I'll keep the Pentax, thank you