Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300mm lenses for Field Cameras

300mm lenses for Field Cameras

I have a field camera with 340mm bellows extension (410mm with tilts and extenda ble with a top hat panel) and would like to buy a compact 300mm lens, mainly for B&W work landscape and some closer work. I was thinking of a G Claron, but woul d welcome your advice

Thank you Robin

Robin,

The G-Claron 305mm 1:9 in Copal #1 shutter with speeds to 1/400th would certainly be a commendable choice with an image circle @ f22 of 381mm. Flange focal distance (bellows draw) at Infinity is 301.7mm, it weighs 460gms and uses 67mm filters.

But you might also investigate the Nikkor-M 300mm 1:9 with an image cirle of 325mm @ f22, great if your format is 4x5. For Infinity focus the Nikkor has a flange focal distance of 290mm. It is also in a Copal #1 shutter and takes 52mm filters. It weighs just 290gms!!

Having said all of that I use a 300mm 1:5.6mm Apo-Symmar which uses 105mm filters and weighs a ton. Perhaps i should heed my own advice.

Good luck ... WG

Robin, If you are looking for a new lens, consider the FUJI 300. It is nice and sharp, lightweight and is mounted on a #1 Copal shutter. Badger Graphics sells them.

I've just bought the Nikon M 300/9 and so far I'm very impressed. Sharp, contrasty and wonderfully compact - smaller than most 150's The slightly shorter flange distance means I have no trouble using it on a Wista VX, even without the extension tubes.

If you are really thinking about some close work, you may need to back off of the focal length to afford you some bellow extension flexibility. Maybe a 200M Nikon? Small brother to the 300M. I have both and the 200M is even smaller and just as sharp. Just a thought.

Robin, everyone owns the best lens, obviously. This tells us that there are many fine lenses around. I personally own a G-Claron 305 and it is a very good lens. But bigger and of an e arlier conception than the Fujinon C 300/8.5 whom I own also and who is clearly superior for color work and also lighter and multicoated (the G-Claron are not). If you work only in B&W, any of the Nikkor M, G-Claron, Apo-Ronar or Fujinon C will do a great job. But if you are considering a new lens, I would recommend you look at a multicoated one like has been said, in case you switch to color work one day. The Nikkors and FujinonC's are optimized for distant subjects, but they remain perfectly sharp for "distant close-ups" (we are not sp eaking of macro there). The two others are repro lenses and optimized for close-ups. Although they will rema in perfectly sharp at infinity when closed at f22, they will start to show some color fringing at high magnific ation. All the lenses mentioned can be bought at similar prices. But some dealers have better prices on japanese brands and others on german brands. So don't let the higher price of any of these lenses make you thi nk they are of higher quality. With a 300, your bellows will not allow you to get close from your subject. It's not a good idea to use a 300 for close ups anyway (too much extension gives place to sway and vibrations) and a 1 10, 150 or 210mm would be better. Hope this helps!

I went through this same decision a few months back. The Nikkor M is smaller than the G-Claron. I was not particularly concerned about the multicoating versus single-coating issue. The G-Claron has more coverage in the event you go to 8x10 format some day. For me it came down to 67mm filters being more common in my bag and the desire to keep it "in the family." I don't regret having purchased the G-Claron one but. Since this lens has been discontinued by Schneider, you can buy it from Badger for the same price as the Nikkor and less than the Fuji

I'm with Dave and Paul. The Fuji 300C (as in compact) is about as light as you can get and a great lens. Badger Graphics sells the 300C, and they show up on e-Bay regularly.

Many thanks for the answers. I have now got a bigger choice and will let you know my choice

Robin

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Good and varied advice above. Also check out Kerry Thalmann's site at http://largeformat.terrashare.com/ for a nice roundup up various LF lenses. Kerry contributes to this page frequently.