Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey - Don't Touch my Junk !!

Re: Hey - Don't Touch my Junk !!

Domestic USA travel is fine, just let your film get zapped. It's not like they make any ISO 3200 sheet film lol.

Could you have Per bring it if he is driving? You might send it to Ronnie Layden or his gallery in Santa Fe.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Could you have Per bring it if he is driving? You might send it to Ronnie Layden or his gallery in Santa Fe.

Curt
    Hi Curt,

Actually, Per did offer to do just that. I'm still considering my options. I may decide to take a MF camera instead of my 4x5 rig.

I'm now preoccupied with paying for the trip if I fly. One thing is for sure. It's gonna be one hellava expensive two weeks

I flew out of LA in 2004. One might characterize those times as MORE paranoid, or maybe less institutionalized paranoia. I had a BIG bag of MF gear, many rolls of film , and it was a 13 hour flight [if that registered to anybody as lots of fuel after take-off, wink wink nudge nudge]. i had the film in clear freezer bags and was cordially received by the hand searchers. Details as per what tgtaylor said above.
    I've flown one domestic round trip since then, sans cameras, and my mother's saying of "wear clean underwear you might get hit by a bus" is now "wear clean underwear for TSA"

I've flown out of LAX numerous times with my LF camera and film, to both domestic and foreign destinations. At times I've asked for a hand check, but recently I simply send my backpack of LF camera, film, lenses, etc. through carry on x-ray. My most recent trip (two weeks ago) was through Burbank airport, which utilizes the same procedures as LAX. Flying out of Burbank (to Spokane) they put my backpack through the machine twice, and swabbed my bag, I assume for explosives. On my return trip from Spokane the same bag, with the same contents, went through without a hitch.

Rick Russell

hacker extraordinaire

I don't worry about xray damage as I have flown with lots of high speed film and never had any trouble even with multiple xrays. I DO seriously worry about the TSA personnel opening my sheet film boxes so I avoid flying with sheet film, and ship it instead for peace of mind, unless the boxes are factory-new and still sealed.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Laptop... remember to pick up the laptop... I connected through Frankfurt at about 4:00 AM on a halfway around the world jaunt from Korea to Houston, stopping in several countries in Asia and Europe along the way. To say I was dead tired would be understating it. Singled out for the full, dump everything out and we'll go through it a piece at a time search, I walked away, half asleep, without my laptop... I did not realize it until I landed in Dulles and thought my bag was very light... The people at work were not too pleased, but I did remember to collect my full TLR kit. It was actually pretty easy to get back...

multiplex

what he said ..

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Domestic USA travel is fine, just let your film get zapped. It's not like they make any ISO 3200 sheet film lol.

i have flown with sheet film and nothing happened even to my film that was iso800 and scanned maybe 10 times total

enjoy your travels !
    john

I'm sure that there have been a few instances where TSA inspections have gone too far, but I've never had a problem carrying either roll film or sheet film.

My practice with sheet film is to have it in a box that is clearly labeled "Film - Open in TOTAL DARKNESS". And to make sure that someone doesn't inadvertently open the box before reading the label, I tape the box closed. The boxes I use are standard three-part film boxes that I have prepared by applying a coat of clear shipping tape so that the blue tape doesn't actually adhere to any the outer paper covering of the box.

I've used this approach on a number of trips between upstate NY and California, and I've never had a single instance where TSA has challenged the process or wanted to open a box. However, just in case, I do carry a changing bag in the same carry-on so that I'm prepared if they want to check further.

I also take along several empty boxes to use in bringing home exposed film - also labeled and sealed with tape. I typically have a few loaded holders with me - the only precaution there is to make sure that the little latch is turned so that the darkslides can't come out without making a conscious effort.

Get to the airport early and give TSA a chance to do their job (it's an important job). And don't worry about the inspection - instead, worry about the airline screwing up your connection, losing your luggage, or deciding to charge an additional 'fee' at the last moment. Those are far more likely problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    I'm sure that there have been a few instances where TSA inspections have gone too far
    Yes, and IMHO this is one of them:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/26/flo...html?hpt=us_c2