Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Murtoa Stick Shed

The Murtoa Stick Shed

I had been eyeing off this crazy giant shed ever since I moved to the Wimmera. All atempts to get inside to photograph had ended in failure though.
    On the 7th of May, I attended the first open day for the Murtoa 'Stick Shed'
    This amazing historic structure recently began the long-overdue process of renovation and was opened to the public for the first time.
    Although from the outside it looks like just a large dull dilapidated structure, from the inside you can appreciate its vast cathedral-like feel.
    Many people who had been staunch 'knock it down-ers' came out as supporters of its preservation after a walk through the interior.
    My 5x4" camera attracted the attention of the supervising architect and I was able to tee-up a second, private shoot 3 weeks later. A few pics attached.

More details below:

The Marmalake/Murtoa Grain Store was constructed in 1941 as a solution for grain
    storage during the World War II wheat glut, when exports were restricted.
    Work commenced on 25 September 1941 and the store was ready to receive wheat in
    January 1942. Immense in size, the Murtoa Stick Shed spans the length of five Olympic swimming pools and has been dubbed the ‘Cathedral of the Wimmera.’
    Constructed from 560 unmilled poles or ‘sticks’ (56 rows of 10) to support the
    corrugated iron roof of the shed, it was soon dubbed the ‘Stick Shed’. The shed is
    about 270 metres long, 60 metres wide and about 19 metres high along the ridge.
    The roof and walls are of corrugated iron painted ferric red, the floor is of concrete
    and a three metre wooden bulkhead runs along either side. The roof angle reflects
    ‘the natural angle of repose’ of stacked bulk grain.
    The Murtoa stick Shed has been a source of controversy for at least 20 years. GrainCorp - the owners of the land surrounding the structure have for many years called for its demolition. Other people have called for its protection as a heritage building. Recently Heritage Victoria has allocated $1.2 M towards its restoration.

cheers
    Steve
    Home is always just beyond the next photograph
    Tumut, NSW, Australia
    A Glass Eye & Three Wooden Legs

Re: The Murtoa Stick Shed

Intriguing structure. BTW, what kind of trees were the poles from.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Nate
    good question, as tall trees are not exactly a prominant feature in the Wimmera.
    Definately Eucalypts of some kind though. If they're local they would be yellow gum or black box. I don't think Ironbark would grow so tall and straight.
    I might find out next time I speak to the guys doing the restoration.
    will get back to you
    cheers
    Steve
    Tumut, NSW, Australia

The picture of the inside of that building are very unique. The long poles seems to create a forest inside the building. Nice to see an old building being restored.
    Questions and comments are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Nate
    good question, as tall trees are not exactly a prominant feature in the Wimmera.
    Definately Eucalypts of some kind though. If they're local they would be yellow gum or black box. I don't think Ironbark would grow so tall and straight.
    I might find out next time I speak to the guys doing the restoration.
    will get back to you
    cheers
    Steve
    Maybe the short supports would be iron barks, and the slender supports grey gums?
    David

Nice work, Steve. Lighting must have been a challenge, well handled.

I suggest that a structure of this size requiring a large number of very long poles would probably have made it economical to ship Mountain Ash from eastern Victorian forests. Mountain Ash has traditionally been the timber of choice where very long poles are required. Brown Stringybark and Messmate are also possibilities, which could have been sourced from the forests in the western corner of the state, however my money would be on the Ash. I wouldn't think any of the local timbers are long enough and straight enough for the job. I'd be keen to know if you can find out.

Regards,

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    Nice work, Steve. Lighting must have been a challenge, well handled.

I suggest that a structure of this size requiring a large number of very long poles would probably have made it economical to ship Mountain Ash from eastern Victorian forests. Mountain Ash has traditionally been the timber of choice where very long poles are required. Brown Stringybark and Messmate are also possibilities, which could have been sourced from the forests in the western corner of the state, however my money would be on the Ash. I wouldn't think any of the local timbers are long enough and straight enough for the job. I'd be keen to know if you can find out.

Regards,

Barry.
    Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.
    I'm hoping to get these shots involved in an exhibition with Heritage Victoria and the Horsham Gallery at some stage, nothing definate yet.

Barry, you're spot on; they are mountain Ash.

More details of the Stick Shed are available here:
    http://www.murtoastickshed.com.au/

cheers
    Steve
    Tumut, NSW, Australia

SteveH, I'm kicking myself. Drove through Murtoa on the way home from Bendigo a month ago and didn't notice the shed. Will make a special effort next time along that road. BTW, if you haven't seen the "American Dreams" exhibition at the Bendigo Art Gallery, it's worth the trip (even from Adelaide). Most are original prints, and include work by Ansel Adams, Robert Capa, Lee Friedlander, Man Ray, Stieglitz and Winogrand amongst others. It's on until early July.

Cheers.

Ahh. I was struck by the very uniform diameter over the length of the poles suggesting that they must have been deep forest grown or plantation farmed and that would not be found in the Murtoa area.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
    SteveH, I'm kicking myself. Drove through Murtoa on the way home from Bendigo a month ago and didn't notice the shed. Will make a special effort next time along that road. BTW, if you haven't seen the "American Dreams" exhibition at the Bendigo Art Gallery, it's worth the trip (even from Adelaide). Most are original prints, and include work by Ansel Adams, Robert Capa, Lee Friedlander, Man Ray, Stieglitz and Winogrand amongst others. It's on until early July.

Cheers.
    David
    although the shed is huge its easy to miss, it gets lost amongst the grain heaps and silos. Now that the reno work is basically finished there should be more opportunities to get in and see it.
    Re: the American Dreams; bought myself a season pass. Have been there 3 times so far. Great shots, although there are a few omissions and would like to see a big AA print. Pity about the dim lighting too. But all in all a great exhibition.
    cheers
    Steve
    Tumut, NSW, Australia