Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Jefferson - are permits necessary?

Fort Jefferson - are permits necessary?

Finally going to get to Key West and Fort Jefferson next week. Looking through the regs, I noticed that permits are required for commercial filming, including still photography. Anyone know if they hassle LF photographers? I know QT has done great work there - did you have to get a permit?

I can go Saturday or Sunday - anyone know which would be less crowded? I am taking the boat, which gives you about 4 hours at the fort.

Re: Fort Jefferson - are permits necessary?

Ed, I had no problems. I've never sought a permit in a NP. I'd recommend trying to camp if you can.

funkadelic

Sunday will be less crowded.
    I never got a permit either. When I was last there in 2004, I had 3 MF cameras and a large tripod. While none were view cameras, the load I was carrying would have drawn attention if any were to be drawn at all. I had free reign of the place. The park rangers encourage you to take photos, as long as you play by the rules. They see it as good PR, as they sometimes take heat from foreign tourists for assisting the US Coast guard in reporting Cuban/Haitian rafters and drug smugglers.
    They do have guided tours, but they don't require you to stay with them. You are free to roam whatever is not restricted (park staff quarters, or possibly still part of the bird island just next to the fort).
    If you're a diver, you'll be torn between taking photos and diving the pilings. The water is very nice if you can catch it when you have 3-4 days of good weather and calm water before your visit. Watch for flying fish on the ferry ride over from KW.
    If you decide to take one of the planes for an overnight visit, they had a 40 pound gear limit last time I was there.
    I'm not sure if it's still available, but I heard there was a ferry from Naples to Fort Jefferson for those who didn't want to drive to Key West. I used to do quarterly site visits for one of my old customers in Key West, so it was always convenient for me.
    If you find yourself in Key West and want a taste of good Cuban food, make sure to stop at El Siboney... some of the best food on the island!

Hi QT - I think I am too old to start camping, but I must admit that it is probably the only way to get good shots at the fort. I suppose if there are toilets, I could just bring a folding chair, some beer and coffee, and stay up all night so I could shoot early and late. Then it would not count as camping.:-)

CD - Thanks for the recommendation! I am a great fan of Cuban food.

They have toilets, but no water (it's not "Dry" for nothing). If you can stay on a folding chair outside, you can lay down on a mat in a tent :-) Watch the weather. Last time there was a severe tropical storm and I had to find refuge from the rain and high winds in the fort.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    They have toilets, but no water (it's not "Dry" for nothing). If you can stay on a folding chair outside, you can lay down on a mat in a tent :-) Watch the weather. Last time there was a severe tropical storm and I had to find refuge from the rain and high winds in the fort.
    If you should get caught in Key West during a storm, be aware of your surroundings and be safe. Find shelter and stay there until the storm passes. If you lose power at night, immediately search the island for neon signs once the storm has passed. Why neon? If the power is out, only stores with generators will have their neon signs lit up.
    If they've got generators, chances are they also have cold beer.

What varieties of beer?

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    If you should get caught in Key West during a storm, be aware of your surroundings and be safe. Find shelter and stay there until the storm passes. If you lose power at night, immediately search the island for neon signs once the storm has passed. Why neon? If the power is out, only stores with generators will have their neon signs lit up. If they've got generators, chances are they also have cold beer.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    What varieties of beer?
    That all depends on where you go. The rent is so expensive on Duvall St (the tourist magnet), some bars and restaurants come and go with the seasons. Each place may offer the standard domestics and imports, while others offer some microbrews and not-so-common offerings. Sloppy Joe's is an old favorite, with live music most nights. Visit Hog's Breath Saloon if you ride a motorcycle. P.J.'s Restaurant has a good and inexpensive lunch menu if you're on that side of town during the day.
    Look for tourist info on places to go and things to do. I've not been there in about 6 years, so I'm out of the loop. There's a lot of history there in town, so you can keep busy if you look around. Many people get the impression that drinking and fishing/diving are the only things to do. Not so.
    In my opinion, Key West is overrated, overpriced and overpopulated. My job took me there several times a year and covered the cost of my company vehicle, hotel and $40/day for food. I worked weekdays, but I was able to have fun at night and stay over for a weekend without much out of pocket expense if you choose your entertainment wisely.
    Be warned: the police are reasonable, but do not press your luck. They deal with a lot of vacationing drunks. They have a saying about the tourists: "Arrive on vacation. Leave on probation". Beware of Fantasy Fest if you don't like crowds or have children, or both.

> If you should get caught in Key West during a storm, be aware of your surroundings and be safe.

Not much different from where I live now. Except that I have my own generator to keep the beer cool.:-)

> Beware of Fantasy Fest if you don't like crowds or have children, or both.

Yea, I was going to go last fall when I had to be in FL for business, but FF was in town so we went to Everglades instead. I want check out the forts and the architecture, I am not very interested in the night life. I can find tourists and drunks in New Orleans whenever I need them.

funkadelic

For some reason, Fort Zachary Taylor doesn't get much attention. I've noticed they do a lot of weddings on the beach behind it from the park off to the left... also a great place for sunset shots if you work in color.
    When you go, look at the gun portals/casements. On one of my last visits there was a group of people talking about restoring the corroded metal frames. I'm curious to know if they ever got the funding to do it. The electrolytic-type process sounded tedious and very expensive, unless someone was donating their time.