Thread: First Petzval shot!

First Petzval shot!

Hello All,

I am really excited to share my first petzval shot! It was shot using a tiny 5" Benjamin French Petzval I recently acquired. Shot on well expired Fomapan 100 and developed in Diafine.

I had problems with the exposure that I will explain below, but I was just thrilled to see the swirlies first hand. Looks like the lens just about covers 4x5. It was shot wide open since I have no waterhouse stops.

OK...the problem I faced. This was shot using the focal plane shutter on my Speed Graphic. My Nikon D300 gave me a reading of 1/5 sec at f5.6 and the low 1 ISO setting. I was severely restricted because I had a lens with no aperture (I shot it wide open anyway, so that definitely was not the problem), fixed ISO and a camera with a FP speed of 1/50. How does one control exposure in such situations? I used the T mode next and severely overexposed the shot.

The picture is also not the sharpest thanks to me forgetting my cable release. The body release on my camera sucks. And then I screwed the film edge during development, but I am OK with that since this was meant to be a Petzval experience and it was a really good one at that!

Thanks.

Avi

Re: First Petzval shot!

Why the low ISO again? Also, doesn't the SG also do 1/30s?

Anyway, in a case Like that, I'd use an ND filter (like ND4) and do a 1s shot, manually timed, of course, using the T setting.

East Coast USA, 2 blocks down on the left

Great job!

Was the Fomapan really that expired that you rated it as ISO 1? Yes, the Speed Graphic has a 1/30th shutter speed. (Move the shutter selector lever forward and when you wind the shutter key you'll see 1/30(as well as 1/125, 1/500). But equally, I venture to guess you may have been able to get away with just using the lens cap on and off. I find the tolerance for negative films to be quite tolerant that if I get a meter reading slower than 1/30th and I'm shooting with my speed graphic, I just use the lenscap and have yet to end up with an unusable shot.

Quote Originally Posted by RawheaD View Post
    Why the low ISO again? Also, doesn't the SG also do 1/30s?

Anyway, in a case Like that, I'd use an ND filter (like ND4) and do a 1s shot, manually timed, of course, using the T setting.
    I should have been clearer. I rated the Fomapan at 100 (on hindsight I should have rated it at 200 since that is what Diafine recommends).

The low 1 setting was on my Nikon D300 DSLR which I used to meter the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by amac212 View Post
    Great job!

Was the Fomapan really that expired that you rated it as ISO 1? Yes, the Speed Graphic has a 1/30th shutter speed. (Move the shutter selector lever forward and when you wind the shutter key you'll see 1/30(as well as 1/125, 1/500). But equally, I venture to guess you may have been able to get away with just using the lens cap on and off. I find the tolerance for negative films to be quite tolerant that if I get a meter reading slower than 1/30th and I'm shooting with my speed graphic, I just use the lenscap and have yet to end up with an unusable shot.
    Amac...thanks! Yes...I just noticed the lever. I need to fix the tensions though, because when I flip the lever, the movement is very sluggish.

Avi