Thread: CZJ tessar 180/6.3 shutter size?

CZJ tessar 180/6.3 shutter size?

I've had a set of cells for above sitting around for several years, bought from a forum member. He wasn't sure what size shutter is required. Antone have an idea? I'm guessing the lens might cover quarter plate, but not sure. I've read that the IC is 250mm but that doesn't seem right to me. Any info about this lens would be great. Thanks.

Re: CZJ tessar 180/6.3 shutter size?

Barry, serial number would help.
    This lens is recommended for half plate, image circle stopped down is 10 inches, as Zeiss claims in 1933 catalogue.
    You can find it on cameraeccentric site.
    Mine is in barrel, so I can’t help with shutter info.

In his publication on the large format lenses made post WWII by Carl Zeiss Jena here: https://www.arnecroell.com/czj.pdf, Arne Cröll indicates that the f/6.3 Tessar was made in 135, 165 and 210 mm versions but not a 180 mm version. So I expect your lens is pre-WWII (and focal length is actually noted in centimeters.) Are you sure this lens was originally mounted in a shutter? The thing is if it was originally mounted in a barrel the threads probably would not be a direct fit to a shutter. If it was originally in a shutter, it was probably a dial-set Compur; I wouldn't rule out a rim-set Compur. Giving us the serial number could help.

David

Thanks to both of you. I read Arne Cröll's excellent article before I posted my question. As he makes no mention of a 180/6.3 among the post-war CZJ Tessars, and because of it's aged appearance and that it's not coated, I also thought it was pre-war. The serial number I think is 95096. I'm not absolutely certain as there is another number. The full inscription is: "Carl Zeiss Jena Nr 95096 Tessar 1:6.3 F.180mm DRP 142294"

No, I'm not sure the lens was originally mounted in a shutter; it may well have been in a barrel. My hunch is that if it was in a shutter, it'd likely be a dial set Compur, as I have a couple of very old uncoated CZJ Tessars which are in that shutter. The only other info I can give about the cells is that they both have the same mounting thread of 40mm.

I also read the cameracentric article and noted the image circle they quoted but was sceptical of that because the lens is so small. I'm more curious about this lens now, because if it has that coverage I'd like to try it on 4x5.

Thanks again for your help.

That is an oldie. That particular serial number doesn't show in Hartmut Thiele's Fabrikationsbuch Photooptik I Carl Zeiss Jena but based on the production dates of some other lenses there with serial numbers 95,xxx, your Tessar was made in 1907. This was before Zeiss switched from labeling focal lengths in millimeters to labeling in centimeters. Also if it had been originally mounted in a shutter, it would not have been a dial-set Compur; these didn't come out until 1911-1912. So it could have been in a Compound shutter. The dial-set Compurs replaced the smaller (smaller than No. 3) Compounds. I don't know if the dial-set Compurs had the same tube length, thread diameter and thread pitch as the smaller Compounds they replaced.

I'm afraid this is a long way of saying that it won't be easy finding a shutter that fits these. I expect you've tried these in the two old dial-set Compurs you have.

David

Thanks for the information, David. I'm glad to have a good idea of the lens's age. Also interested to know when dial-set Compurs came out. I'm afraid I just pick up the odd old lens and use it, and don't really look into its history. Of the four CZJ Tessars I have, two are in rim-set Deckels and two in dial-set Compurs, and unfortunately none of the shutters will take the cells I'm asking about. As you say, it's not going to be easy to find a suitable shutter. Thanks again for your help.

Barry