I had popped over to Luminous Landscape, PhaseOne IQ 180 Field Review, by Mark Dubovoy, and saw something I never thought I would see: "Thoughtful Photography."

Then I read his definition of "thoughtful photography."

1. Mount the camera on the tripod and look through the viewfinder. Because of the custom mask, it is quite easy to decide which lens to use and adjust the camera to properly frame the image.

2. After the camera is locked in position, mount the chosen lens on the camera and connect the PC sync cable.

3. Measure the distance to the key object in the image using the Disto D5. Enter the distance in the HPF ring.

4. Choose a lens aperture, ISO and shutter speed appropriate to the image (guess the exposure).

5. Make a test exposure.

5. Evaluate and confirm framing, focus, leveling and exposure using the tools in the IQ 180 touch screen. Perform any necessary changes or tweaks.

6. Shoot the final image. If not satisfactory, repeat step 5 and shoot again.
(Must ... control ... fist of death!)

Doesn't "thoughtful photography" have anything to do with the image being made?

When I practice "thouthful photography," I think about what I want to photograph. I might travel hither and yon, or I might hang around the house. I think about what should be in the frame, what what is better left out. What does something "say" about a concept? Am I maximizing what I see? What about a different angle? Is the sun in the right position? Am I making something that I find interesting? How does it make me feel? How might it make others feel?

These are some of the things I think about when I make a photograph. How about you?