Thread: A "hello" from Hong Kong

A "hello" from Hong Kong

Hi all

I'm Rod, a Brit living in Hong Kong. Just got myself a Chamonix 045N-2 and trying to get my head around all the other things I need to be getting. Seems all my years of buying comparatively cheap digital equipment in HK will fade away into importing film gear .

I'm in my mid twenties, not really ever used film (with the exception of the parents' point and shot many moons ago). Have had a DSLR for a while and now find myself often going out to locations wanting only to get 1 or 2 pictures, going to large format seems to be a good way to making that a more involved/daunting process. So my digital camera is going to get shifted over to time lapses and perhaps portraits (something I know nothing about and so would benifit from the immediacy of results from a digital camera), whilst I have a stab at LF.

If anyone knows any good ways to get hands on film (Velvia 50 and Ektar 100), lens boards or film holders in Hong Kong or good web companies to ship here, please let me know!! Same goes for drum scans, can I get this done in HK?

Re: A "hello" from Hong Kong

Welcome to the community Rod. The Chamonix is a great camera, you'll have a lot of fun and possibly few mistakes with Large Format. A lot of useful information is at the Articles and Reviews page.

I sure someone else will chime in on film availability in Hong Kong.

Welcome to group therapy, Rod! Lots of good LF stuff made over your way...you shouldn't have to do too much importing! Maybe some of the other folks here can suggest sources in the Hong Kong area.

Welcome Rod. There was a thread on where to shop for gear in HK on this forum - some useful addresses are there. BUT, for film holders, lens boards and especially film my experience is do not bother and order online. Some film holders and film for starters I can spare if you are interested, please call or text 9462 9272

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum!

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Thanks all for the welcome.

dsim, I have been busy reading through those articles but am sure I will be making plenty of mistakes. As long as they aren't too costly and I don't waste too many days of rare clear weather I won't mind!!

Vick, Hong Kong is certainly a great place for getting stuff for digital stuff - I work in an area called Sham Shui Po which is perhaps the closest thing to a real life eBay store full of knickknacks you never knew you needed. However I am struggling to find reasonable priced second hand film stuff!!

finnagainn, I'd be very interested in any available film or, at the moment more importantly, film holders! I'll give you a text tomorrow (bit late now). Out of interest, from your experience where do you often get film online?

Steve, thanks!