Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KEH quality

Re: KEH quality

I typically bottom feed KEH because I use the stuff I buy and they have historically had some great deals. Last year I picked up a 90mm SA for only $109 and a Fuji 210mm for $119. Both were rated as BGN. The SA had a fixed rim ding but the glass was perfect and the Fuji was in amazing shape. I also picked up a Contax ST with the grip for a measly $160. Unfortunately earlier this year their prices went way up. They now have a ton of inventory too because of the higher prices I assume.

Preston Birdwell

I have bought medium format and 35mm lenses from KEH. In all cases they were in better condition than their ratings indicated.

I also had their repair facility calibrate a Pentax Spotmeter V and a bellows replacement on my Tachihara 4x5. In both cases the repairs were done accurately, in short order, and at a reasonable price.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    I typically bottom feed KEH because I use the stuff I buy and they have historically had some great deals. Last year I picked up a 90mm SA for only $109 and a Fuji 210mm for $119. Both were rated as BGN. The SA had a fixed rim ding but the glass was perfect and the Fuji was in amazing shape. I also picked up a Contax ST with the grip for a measly $160. Unfortunately earlier this year their prices went way up. They now have a ton of inventory too because of the higher prices I assume.
    I noticed the prices when I recently checked and compared to what I'd bought before. I paid $364 for my Pentax LX in EX condition. Now they list the same price for one in BGN condition and an EX they show for a whopping $569. I can't believe the market value increased THAT much in that time period. Maybe mine was just barely EX by their rating - it looked new except for a very tiny raised piece of covering that later came "looser" - a dab of glue took care of that. They also list it with the FA-2 finder for even more, $665. Since the difference as far as I know is just that the FA-2 lacks the hotshoe of the FA-1, I can't imagine why that one is more rather than less.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Yes, the prices at KEH have been rising as the inventory of available used equipment diminishes. That has been happening for at least several months, so I do not think that it is a "dead cat bounce".

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Octogenarian

The original discussion that was started by the OP was about the quality of the items and service at KEH.

The discussion has now switched to the quantity (price) of the items that KEH sells.

High quality at a low price is a thing of the past in photography.

The old adage: "You only get what you pay for", certainly holds true here.

Gem;
    When has it ever been high quality at a low price? I can not remember one piece of new photo gear that was fairly priced - Not one. Photo is the one profession- hobby that glamourizes it self in ways that lead the professional- hobbist into the mind set that success is just a heartbeat away. That if you buy all this and that you will be famous- or successful. Every year there are new faces in the photo community that are up and coming "stars."

In 1986? Elite paper was close to 200 a box for 16x20. My first Jobo set cost over $2600 in the 80's, My first Color enlarger was over 2,000 with lenses etc....and the list goes on and on. The problem is people sell thier used equipment too cheap wanting simply to rid themselves of something and make back a little money. Keh has overhead, so if the economy is slow the prices go down, if things get better the price goes up to account for the sluggish time...its just practical business.

I would rather spend more money though for some thing of quality, used or new, than buy something merely to have it and have it break- so with that part I do agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    The original discussion that was started by the OP was about the quality of the items and service at KEH.

The discussion has now switched to the quantity (price) of the items that KEH sells.

High quality at a low price is a thing of the past in photography.

The old adage: "You only get what you pay for", certainly holds true here.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Hmm, I have been buying from KEH since you could walk in off of 14the Street and pick through their bins. The only problem gear I have had was receiving the wrong item. I have never had an issue with them in 25+ years.

Darr

I might add that I have not had really any bad experiences with KEH, The items bought:Multiple MF lenses, MF backs, 35mm lenses have all been excellent quality related to the condition stated. I never buy bargain grade though. My only recent experience two years ago was that they had a difficult time with one particular 300mm 2.8 lens....that is finding it, and confirming the sale. Took a few more phone calls than I would have wished.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

First I would like to say that I have bought lenses from them that far exceeded the rating, but I'll give some examples from my last 2 purchases. 2 months ago I bought 3 metz 70mz-5 flash units. 2 of them had mismatched control units and the highest rated (LN-) had a zoom motor that sounded like it had sand in it. I returned that one for trade and received back the same head (recorded serial #) with a different control unit?! returned for money back with no issue except lost time and shipping cost. recently, I received an EX+ cambo bellows that is very dry, stiff and cracking. It won't extend without damaging the material. Maybe it sat on a shelf for so long that it was nice when originally inspected? Also, a tenba case EX+ described as 'with dividers' but included only one divider out of 3. bellows returned and case kept. none of which is really a big issue except the metz flash, but i received a refund. overall I still consider them a good source, but am leary now.

A friend mine bought from Keh a Nikon 600mm MF from Keh. He is very pleased with the lens description, shiping to Europe and all.
    Philippians 4:8