Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: KEH quality

Re: KEH quality

Keh is also one of the best places to find fair prices for large format lenses. I do get a good deal on ebay every so often, but lately I have seen some ridiculous prices on ebay.

So, Once again I have to return items to KEH. 2 of 4 items have to go back. The first is an EX condition fuji lens cap. It looks as if it was run over by a truck and has a big crack that prevents it from even staying on the lens. The other is a cambo bellows support that is absolutly not a cambo bellows support. I've double checked and am certain it is wrong.( no photo of it in the listing) No fedex location near me for easy return. Time wasted. I'm even less inclined to consider them a reliable resource.

another successful transaction with KEH .. all companies should be this good....

I don't think their grading is that far off "standard" on average, and often I think it's conservative. It's more that there isn't much consistency among those doing the grading. I've gotten "UG" gear that was indeed UGLY, but far more often things are better than I expected. Same with "BG" grade items.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

The only purchase I remember from KEH was the meter/viewfinder for a Pentax 67. It was graded BGN and that was probably right, it had a big dent in it though it worked o.k. I was mildly disappointed only because I've read so often about how conservative KEH's ratings are and that their BGNs are like other people's EXs. Cosmetically this thing was a BGN or worse by anyone's standards.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Les

I don't have a track record with KEH, but I just received a Minolta F meter and it's in better condition than they claimed it. You betcha, I'm a returning customer.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    The only purchase I remember from KEH was the meter/viewfinder for a Pentax 67. It was graded BGN and that was probably right, it had a big dent in it though it worked o.k. I was mildly disappointed only because I've read so often about how conservative KEH's ratings are and that their BGNs are like other people's EXs. Cosmetically this thing was a BGN or worse by anyone's standards.
    I've seen lots of dented 6x7 TTL housings rated in EX condition, go figure.

But "Bargain" by KEH's standard means bad appearance that doesn't affect good function. From their description of "bargain": Shows more than average wear for the age of the item. May have dents, dings and/or brassing and finish loss. That's as opposed to "ugly", which is bad appearance, possibly affecting function. Most 6x7's seem to have brassing and dents--these were workshorse not showhorse cameras--so "average" for an earlier 6x7 probably includes brassing and some dents.

I've bought a number of items from KEH, and when I buy a "bargain" lens, it usually shows brassing and finish loss. But the filter ring will not be dented or other functional defect. That sort of damage gets it rated "ugly".

It's actually pretty easy to remove the shell from the top of a 6x7 TTL housing, and push dents back out. It takes a lot of skill (and some touching up of the lacquer) to make them invisible, but I have significantly improved the appearance of one that I bought in Houston last November. I used the rounted handle of a small brass repair technician's rawhide mallet as a pusher, and a smooth hard surface to push against. Took about 15 minutes.

Sometimes the dents distort the shell enough to pull the shutter dial interlock up off the shutter dial a bit. Pushing the dent out resolves that.

Rick "noting that the TTL ring often costs as much as the prism" Denney

I've bought three EX condition lenses from them, and I'd rate them all as practically new.

Quote Originally Posted by uphereinmytree View Post
    So, Once again I have to return items to KEH. 2 of 4 items have to go back. The first is an EX condition fuji lens cap. It looks as if it was run over by a truck and has a big crack that prevents it from even staying on the lens. The other is a cambo bellows support that is absolutly not a cambo bellows support. I've double checked and am certain it is wrong.( no photo of it in the listing) No fedex location near me for easy return. Time wasted. I'm even less inclined to consider them a reliable resource.
    Agree with you. I had two items returned lately.

1. Bought an arca lens board adapter, received an arca lensboard. -->fedex return
    2. Bought a Sinar F, the screen has been modified, with fresnel installed in front of ground glass. I paid the shipping to return it.

The latter one, KEH refuses to reimburse the returning shipping cost. "This is an used item, we do not
    guarantee that all parts will be original supplied by original manufacturer"

My biggest concern with them is that, they do not provide adequate description on each item. Sometimes it is just simply wrong (the first case). Their rating usually is fine, but it doesnt mean anything is some cases. Sometimes they can get away with a good return policy, but I am not happy with the recent case.

Besides, if you try to order via phone, their CSR is away from their warehouse, if you have any questions regarding the item, the question usually wont be answered. The experience is totally different from other used LF stores like MPEX. If you have questions, Jim will pick up the item and answer your question.

I've previously written positively about KEH quality, and a recent purchase a few weeks ago continued this positive experience - a BGN convertible Symmar which I would rate at least as EX.

But it only takes one bad experience to change an attitude. I've just received an 8/65 Super Angulon which KEH described as EX. The photo showed a lens that looked indeed very good, and I noted its serial number, 10,0xx,xxx. It arrived today and on first impressions I was pleased to see that it appeared to be like new. The shutter and outer chrome surfaces showed barely a mark, the glass was pristine, and the shutter sounded very sweet. Then I noticed a ding on the filter thread. It could not have happened in transit as the item was securely pack and padded, AND there had previously been an attempt to repair it. This damage was obviously missed when the lens was rated. And the serial number of the lens that arrived is 9,7xx,xxx - obviously not the lens in the photograph.

I've written to claim a return, but have not yet had a reply due to the time difference. Once happy, now unimpressed, but open to forgiveness depending on their response.