Thread: Purchase dilema - Linhof

Purchase dilema - Linhof

Hi This is my first post to the forum. I'd like to thank everyone for the very obje ctive and knowledgeable information provided. I have the opportunity to purchase quite a lot of Linhof equipment and am lookin g for advise. The equipment is as follows:

2 x Technika IV bodies c/w 135mm lenses. (no rangefinder) 1 x Technika IV body w/o lens but with lens board.

A variety of lenses and accessories including Rollex 6 x 7 backs (boxed, new), 4 x 5 polaroid back (new), plus various finders, grips etc. Here's the deal. The two Tech IV bodies with lens are going for $450 each, and t he IV body without the lens for $250. At these prices I am thinking of buying al l three. Is this wise or should I just build up one good system. In terms of lenses there is a full range from 75mm to 365mm all mounted on Linho f lens boards, including a 150mm Lanathar for $500. What lenses are the best to start with? Do they need to come with cams for no rangefinder use? In addition would you recommend the polaroid back ($200) or the Linhof 6 x 7 bac k ($500)? One option is to buy the whole lot (+- 20 lenses, 5 backs, 3 bodies + around 20 other accessories) which I can get for about $5000. Is there a resale market for duplicate items? I am not a dealer, it just seems like very good prices. Many thanks

Purchase dilema - Linhof

If the bodies are in good condition, bellows, etc. I would say jump on it! I have seen the Tech IV go in E bay for a lot more than that. Now if the bodies are not working properly, then maybe the repairs are going to cost you more than what the equipment is worth. I guess what I am saying is it all depends on the condition of the equipment.

Purchase dilema - Linhof

The two bodies with lenses seem in very good condition. I haven't checked the bellows closely. They haven't been used for about 5 years. The third body could be used for spares, which is why I was considering that as well.

Purchase dilema - Linhof

Yea, I would also say jump at it!!! The only time you need the cams is for using the rangefinder. You need the cams that are matched for the lens. Other than that, everyone I know uses a loupe on the ground glass. Linhofs are very good cameras, kind of like a Leica in 35mm.

Purchase dilema - Linhof

Lee: For the prices you quote it sounds you have a great opportunity on your hands. Technika IV' in reasonable condition go for alot more that you are saying you would pay. You could buy it all, take the pick of the litter to keep, and sell the rest at a substantial profit and probabily get your new outfit...free. As for Linhof...what can I canI say. I started out my college career at Art Center, with a IV and in the seventies and eighties added a Kardan Color 8X10 for my big Denver advertising studio. Somebody wisely said..."If Leica ever built a large format camera, they would have called it a Linhof". The precision of the product is without equal. They are rugged and durable. I have recently come out of early retirement and just complete the assembly of a beautiful Technika V outfit...to start shooting again just for the love of it. There will be a problem for you however. Aside from the joy of creating the photo you want, you will find that working with a Linhof is also an experience and a joy. Sometimes the joy of working with such a precision tool, can get in the way of your original objective of artistic expression. (Grins..) Richard Boulware - Denver

Purchase dilema - Linhof

If it is in good condition buy it!!!!!! Play. Find out what you need. Then sell the rest on ebay. You would probably end up with a free and complete system. As for cams you do not need them to use the lens they are just for the rangefinder. On IVs they are specific to lens AND body. If you really want camed lenses and think that you will use them. Sell the bodies on ebay and go for a Master and get cams ground for your lenses for about $250.00 each.