Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newborn babies

Newborn babies

Help! I've been asked to take a few pictures of a friends new born grandaughter (less than a week old at the moment). This is right out of my comfort zone. Gotta confess that I'll probably be using roll film (colour) and strobes. What I need to see are a few examples of this sort of work that's kept parents and grandparents happy.
    Thanks,
    Pete.

Re: Newborn babies

I burnt some of my last Type 55 trying to shoot my daughter when she was a little 'un. Suffice to say most were either 'not safe for work' or had too much movement....
    Good luck, I have no tips just wanted to share my little tale...

J

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Help! I've been asked to take a few pictures of a friends new born grandaughter (less than a week old at the moment). This is right out of my comfort zone. ... What I need to see are a few examples of this sort of work that's kept parents and grandparents happy.
    Anne Geddes might `speak to you' ... but then again she might not

http://www.annegeddes.com/

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

I'm the last person to ask:

Venture photography (www.venturephotography.com) have rebooted family portraiture, and have persuaded people I know to part with far more money than I would have thought possible for pictures of their kids. Many of the setups are hokey, but the bright-pastel-world-of-sweetness look certainly goes down well with relatives.

My favourite shots of my own kids are semi-posed scenes from their lives. Baby massage, feeding, perched on a shoulder, fast asleep in a heap of blankets. They don't move much at the newborn stage, so MF works well (with LF you're fighting depth of field). One invaluable tip for straight-on static portraits is to prop them up in one of those 45° baby bouncers - you avoid the jowly look when they're flat on their backs, and it's easier to line up the camera on a tripod.

Forget LF and maybe film I'd say. I wouldn't use strobes either, they seem to hard on babies eyes and natural light will give you a more... natural feel?

I have photographed my newborn for a few months now mostly digital. Take a look:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabato/...7625568637056/

Props help a lot. Geddes overdoes it for me but she's the master. There's a woman on Flickr who does great work with newborns aswell (check my Flickr favorites.)

I like fast glass and available light.

What Jay says, avoid flash if at all possible(skin to easily washed out, startle/cry factor). Daylight film under tungsten for a warm effect. Hide moms arm and hand under a throw so she can hold the critter in a pose.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

If someone made this request of me I would approach it exactly as I've approached the photography on my walls that the friend admired. They can haul the kid to the local mall for kitschy anne geddes looking stuff with angel wings and gold saran wrap any day of the week they want. That's Canon 5D work. If they asked you it's probably because what you can give them with large format in our day and age will be unique. Do it soon though. The little rats get wiggly within weeks.

I think it's OK to get babies accustomed to strobes. I used them a lot with my two girls (but natural light works well too). I also got them used to the coffee grinder as soon as they came home from the hospital.

Flat soft light, like from a picture window or large light source is I think the best. Let the baby's soft shape make the shadows and tones rather than a complex lighting setup.

I think medium format or digital is easiest for kids/babies. A newborn might be still enough to do LF though. I hope you are being asked because they like what sort of photography you do and not because sears/walmart is too expensive.

http://jason.philbrook.us/gallery3/v...el/img371s.jpg

is one I did with my TLR of my brother and his son. This was next to a huge window on a cloudy day.

Many thanks for all that good advice. I will use the 645 for some but I'll give the 5x7 a try. I have a 150 CZJ Tessar, a 210 TT&H Aviar and the good old 127 & 203 Ektars along with Foma 400 so something should work. YThe advice about natural light and getting them young is really helpful. Jay & JP, those are great.
    Thanks again,
    Pete.