Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monolights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Monolights

My Paul Buff monolights have failed me again for the third time so it is time to replace them.
    Any suggestions as to what is good and reliable these days?

I would appreciate brands and comments of personal use.

Thanks Luis

Re: Monolights

I have Photogenic monolights, and I've been very happy with them. I've also heard good things about Calumet Travelers, which I think are re-branded Bowens.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Luis,

Which models are you using? How are they "failing"? Is it possibly a technique issue?

I've got four Ultras that have served me well for way over twenty years with only three or four total repairs in all that time. Everyone that I know personally (several) who uses them are equally pleased. That includes Ultras, the X series, Ultra Zaps and even the very first tin cans.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

i have the profoto ones and they are an absolute pleasure. stepless power, super fast recharge, small and solid build.
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Like my Calumet Travelers...of course I also have an Elite set so all the accessories swap..but built solid and has never failed me

Whatever you can have repaired near where you live might be worth considering. I'm surprised you're having so much trouble with the White Lightnings.

Bowens Gemini aren't bad. Barely used mine since i bought them nearly 2 years ago though...

Profoto "black sausages" i.e. monolights.

-Dan

Buy whatever lights are the most popular in your region. Then you can share-buy-borrow-rent-steal from other photographers.

If I was a redneck American hillbilly I'd buy those garishly-colored plastic Paul C. Buff lights too. But you're a sophisticated European gentleman, you must have ProFotos or some esoteric, very expensive brand ;-)

Round here, Dynalites rule -- robust, lightweight, middle-value workhorses made in New Jersey. Speedotrons are from Chicago - not lightweight but very solid, everyone had them throughout the MidWest. Out in California photographers used a lot of Normans, because they were made there. Dangerous like a fault zone ;-p

Go figure....

I vote for Protofoto lights. Reliable, durable, intelligently-designed, great accessories, and the best speedring-mounting system on any lighting system I've used (and as a freelance assistant I've used them all).