Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Arca-Swiss Quick Release Plate with 3/8in screws?

David J. Heinrich

Re: Long Arca-Swiss Quick Release Plate with 3/8in screws?

The Feisol QP-200 (7.87in) long seems nice, but doesn't look like it has safety stops?

Regarding the SunwayFoto DP-813, is the wide base-plat (80mm / 3.15in wide) advantageous even when using 2 screws to secure the camera vs. a narrower baseplate (like the QP-200)?

Quote Originally Posted by dh003i View Post
    The Feisol QP-200 (7.87in) long seems nice, but doesn't look like it has safety stops?

Regarding the SunwayFoto DP-813, is the wide base-plat (80mm / 3.15in wide) advantageous even when using 2 screws to secure the camera vs. a narrower baseplate (like the QP-200)?
    Not sure what safety stops are. I used it on my Wehman 8x10 with the two screw holes on the bottom and it worked fine (with the AS Z1 ball head).

However, I gravitated to the Gitzo pan-tilt head.

If you want to try it, PM me your address and I will send it to you. You can re-imburse me for the postage. If you can use it then keep it or else return it to me.

David J. Heinrich

jeroldharter,

Thank you; I also have a Gitzo G1570 pan-tilt head, which I am going to compare this head to soon. I suspect that the Z2 is smoother and more solid, but will test first.

jeroldharter,

Thank you; I also have a Gitzo G1570 pan-tilt head, which I am going to compare this head to soon. I suspect that the Z2 is smoother and more solid, but will test first.
    I bought the Gitzo because I did not think the Z2 was solid enough. The Z2 is great for 4x5 but I think overmatched by an 8x10 even though the weight rating suggests otherwise. The reality is that the weight of the camera, and all the torque induced by the extended bellows, sits on a small rod on a ball. By comparison, the Gitzo has much more surface area to support the base of the camera and is much more solid. The Wehman has a huge base but it is aluminum and I think it flexes a little bit atop such a tiny support.

I find it paradoxically easier to attach the Wehman on the Gitzo than when using a quick release plate with the Arca. Even a long release plate looks like a trifle on the bottom of the Wehman and it is hard to see under the camera to fit things together. Lots of fiddling and ducking my head to line things up. With the Gitzo, I tilt the head vertical, hold the Wehman by the carry strap, and then just screw it in. I can see the hole easily and it is very quick. My Gitzo is also a bit stiff but seems to be loosening with use.

jadphoto

You might contact Really Right Stuff.

I'm sure they'll have something that will do what you want.

JD

David J. Heinrich

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I bought the Gitzo because I did not think the Z2 was solid enough. The Z2 is great for 4x5 but I think overmatched by an 8x10 even though the weight rating suggests otherwise. The reality is that the weight of the camera, and all the torque induced by the extended bellows, sits on a small rod on a ball. By comparison, the Gitzo has much more surface area to support the base of the camera and is much more solid. The Wehman has a huge base but it is aluminum and I think it flexes a little bit atop such a tiny support.

I find it paradoxically easier to attach the Wehman on the Gitzo than when using a quick release plate with the Arca. Even a long release plate looks like a trifle on the bottom of the Wehman and it is hard to see under the camera to fit things together. Lots of fiddling and ducking my head to line things up. With the Gitzo, I tilt the head vertical, hold the Wehman by the carry strap, and then just screw it in. I can see the hole easily and it is very quick. My Gitzo is also a bit stiff but seems to be loosening with use.
    jerold, thanks for the info. I'm a little confused on your earlier post, though. You said,

"You can re-imburse me for the postage. If you can use it [G1570M] then keep it or else return it to me."

Did you just offer to give me a $300+ tripod head for the cost of postage? Did I do something really nice for you in a prior life? ;-)

The wider SunwayFoto plates have a much larger contact area between the plate and the base of the camera. This would likely eliminate the flexing Jerold mentioned:

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    The Wehman has a huge base but it is aluminum and I think it flexes a little bit atop such a tiny support.
    Kerry

jerold, thanks for the info. I'm a little confused on your earlier post, though. You said,

"You can re-imburse me for the postage. If you can use it [G1570M] then keep it or else return it to me."

Did you just offer to give me a $300+ tripod head for the cost of postage? Did I do something really nice for you in a prior life? ;-)
    Oops. I meant to say that if you want to try that Feisol quick release plate I would send it to you for the cost of postage. If you like it you can keep it. If you don't like it you can send it back to me. (I'll keep the Gitzo!)