Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: My Century 10A Restoration

Re: My Century 10A Restoration

Agreed, it is important to have materials to do things when you need to. I miss my shop. I had all sorts of machines, welders and scrap everything. Now working out of a packed garage makes me miss it even more. The simplest little tasks take forever it seems. Also the cost and time of fetching odds and ends starts to add up. I dont know how many hours I am into this project, but I know I could of bought a stand cheaper for sure.

I had to cut my own crank handle

the knob until i mad a wood one is marble

OK I am starting the rough in process for the handle in steel. It give it that home made look, I dont think that is a good thing but It will be fine when I am done.

I love it!

Actually, if mine is anything to go by, that "home made look" will be a considerable step up in workmanship. Sandblast it or mix some sand into flat black paint and it will look just like the cast original. Be sure to drill the hole for the knob axle off-center, for real authenticity

Thanks for the kind words. I dont have a real close up to work from I am just using thee profile info from the PDF and doing what I think looks good

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    Agreed, it is important to have materials to do things when you need to. I miss my shop. I had all sorts of machines, welders and scrap everything. Now working out of a packed garage makes me miss it even more. The simplest little tasks take forever it seems. Also the cost and time of fetching odds and ends starts to add up. I dont know how many hours I am into this project, but I know I could of bought a stand cheaper for sure.
    Yeah but you brought a irreplaceable camera back from the bring, plus I'm sure I'm not the only one who has really enjoyed following this thread. Also I build and fix a lot of things (carpenter by trade) and there is much satisfaction in that. Great job on the resoration, looks like your getting close to completion.

Roger

I think we have reached a stage in the restoration when we can see that the female thread replacement insert and easily available acme threads does produce a very good solution. When the weather gets better (March/April) I will produce more of the angle mounts in aluminium which I cast for akfreak. Those already on the list do need not contact me again.

@ Roger, All I need to do now Is Set screw the bearrings, Do final work work, Fill and sand all of the cast parts. Paint them. Route the table top edge (Roman Ogee). Build the film holder pockets. Make my table top front camera stop. Inset the pattern on the front fascia. Find some crackle paint for all of the stand Iron parts, Find that red felt. Drill the table top to mount the camera via the threaded inserts. Make a left hand focusing knob, built retaining collars and pins for the focus knobs. Light tight the bellows. Complete fianl finish in the camera and stand and install emblems, attachment brackets, make a proper wooden crank handle, ect, ect... Yeah I am in the final 6 months of this project,

I did get the crank handle fitted to the acme thread, now I can do the final profile work on it. This project is just fun to work on but it's going to be a while until my Voigtlander Collinear Series II NO.8 f6.3 sees the front of the camera again

This thread has been hibernating for some time, so I thought I would just check on general progress and repeat what I said earlier about doing aluminium casting for anyone else who wants to go down this route for restoration of the semi-centenial stand mechanism! Terms are as last year, that is, postage costs.