Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7x17 film holder on Epson V700 - not working...

Lachlan 717

Re: 7x17 film holder on Epson V700 - not working...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lancaster View Post

Lachlan I am loving this concept - keep us posted!
    Will do, Daniel.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Lachlan,
    I don't even own a scanner, so take this with a grain of salt. Most of the software I work with is proprietary and non-photo related, but one thing I have noticed that many applications have in common: they usually have a set of configuration values stored the the registry (on Windows) or in a .conf file (MacOS or other UNIX-like OS). If you find from tech support that it's a configuration problem, ask if there is a registry value you can change or config/initialization setting you can change in the OS. Sometimes making a generic application work with unsupported hardware can be done if you just know what and how to ask.
    Best of luck,
    Chris
    You got me into this mess, Chris, so only fair that you try to help me get out of it!

Seriously, though, thanks for the tip. I'll see whether I can use this advice if Doug's doesn't work.

Regards,

Lachlan.
    Lachlan.

Lachlan 717

Update:

Good news, then bad news and finally goodish news.

First, I got the scanner to work. Going on Doug and Shane's insights, I simply moved the holder a couple of millimetres down the scanner bed and off it went. Obviously, I need to check the top of the holder in a bit. Easy.

Then the bad news. The scan is not 7" wide. Pity. However, it is 6"/150mm wide, so I lose a little on each side.

Finally, the goodish news. I can either crop a bit from the top and/or bottom, or I can do a 4 part stitch. All using images from the super high res lens.

All in all, a satisfactory outcome from my point of view, as I was dreading not being able to use the super high res lens at all! So, I can now get pretty good quality scans on a V700. Cheap and somewhat easy way to scan 7x17 (inches, Leigh, inches…)

A big thanks to all for your insights, help and advice.
    Lachlan.

Great, anyway with all that film real estate you can afford to frame a bit looser to allow a two part stitch. What file sizes you getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    So as to help, here's the holder in question:
    Hows the going with the 7x17 film holder for Epson V700? Does it work well for you? Would like to do something like that for myself as well :-)

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by wiggywag View Post
    Hows the going with the 7x17 film holder for Epson V700? Does it work well for you? Would like to do something like that for myself as well :-)
    It all seemed to get too hard…

I now just use the film guide on the low res lens and stitch, but the image quality is still amazing. Simply scan one end, then flip the film and get the other end.

The image below is a massive downsample from the original 500meg file (scanned at 900dpi).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7x17 Woolamai Oct 2012.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	81461
    Lachlan.

I now just use the film guide on the low res lens and stitch, but the image quality is still amazing. Simply scan one end, then flip the film and get the other end.

The image below is a massive downsample from the original 500meg file (scanned at 900dpi).

Nice photo. Do you just lay the neg flat on the glass and scan, or do you mount it somehow? Have you tried wet mounting? I was thinking about wet mounting the negatives on a sufficient size of glass (8x18" or something) with negative facing down and then flip the film and glass and get the other end. If I use a glass I without a holder I guess that glass must be pretty thick not to break in the process.

Lachlan 717

I think that you'll have focus issues if you add glass, as you'll be raising the film above the lower res lens' focus point (i.e. the existing glass).

You'll also possibly introduce Newton Rings with the glass-on-glass contact.

I simply lay the film, emulsion down, on the glass, using the 8x10 film guide.

(Thanks for the compliment as well!!)
    Lachlan.

I would make the negative face down against the scanner and the glass go up, like Scanscience do with their holders.

Do you ever get Newton rings this way? I've done the same thing with 7x17 negs and sometimes have to fight the rings.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion